Wednesday 17 September 2014

Ralf proof

Really late starting this post so I'm gonna get straight into it. It's been another good day though, and I've been feeling mostly better (slight headache only negative) today.


So we'll go back to last night where the lightning was flashing and thunder was rumbling all around and when I say rumbling I mean it as there were not any crack or bangs just really deep room shaking roars. I woke at 11.30 to the most torrential downpour I have heard since I got here, worse even than the night which resulted in the Big Flood. I lay there listening to it for a while enjoying the fact I was not worried about floods any more with the nice waterproof roof then I decided to go to the toilet. I got to the top of the stairs and the sounds of the rain were so spooky I had to go back and get a torch which is so unlike me. As I was going back in the bedroom anyway I picked my camera up and went to the back door which was still wide open from the other day when I was bringing wood in and got the video above of the rain, the downpour, and the flood that was developing in the hole there. After this I got back to sleep only to wake a bit later and then be kept awake by really high winds. The rain had stopped but it was gusting really high and I was super aware of the loose tiles on the north side of the roof. Thankfully nothing fell off but this did mean that when the alarm went off I was still really tired so I got a little lay in.

Getting the guest room doorway ready
Getting the guest room doorway ready
I got myself out of bed after A had headed out to get the men mainly as I hate being lazy and laying around and not pulling my weight. I set my mind on taking the annoying dangling bit of window adhesive strip that was blowing around out of the Room 13 window annoying both of us and this meant I had to tidy the desk so I could climb on it and then I carried on round the house and pulled loads of it off each window but there is loads more left to do. Finally just before I expected them back I put the kettle on and did the washing up which I was finishing as they did arrive. The men got themselves sorted and went onto the roof where, after a few bangings, they came back down saying that it wasn't good to work up there today so they would start on the other tasks inside. Sally immediately got started on taking the wood down from the new doorway for the guest room.

Concrete surround for the bathroom door
Concrete surround for the bathroom door
A headed to bed to sleep a bit more as she had also been disturbed by the weather in the night, and I was quickly eating some toast when Bekir came to say that there were supplies needed from the builder's merchant. We headed down in Thomas and I found out just what A had meant when she said the road at the bottom of the hill was like half the hillside had washed onto it; there were rocks all over the road where the flood of last night had washed over the edge of the drainage and carried it all onto the tarmac. It was a serious storm last night! We bought everything that was needed for decorating the guestroom and bedroom, and were back up to the house in less than an hour which was really good. When we got back Sally was in the process of boxing off around the toilet window to fill with concrete.

Soaking wet from having fun in the pool
Soaking wet from having fun in the pool
A took the boys out for a run round the garden while I helped Orhan and Shengen move the whisky and other boxes piled near the other window in the guest suite so they could get in and start working on that window as well. They are not just sealing the edges with concrete but are also replacing the window ledges with reinforced concrete ones to stop any water getting in over winter. I love their thoroughness. A came back in with a really soaked Ralf who had gone outside and plunged immediately into Rambo's pond; he is determined to undo all the cleanliness from his shower yesterday.

Guest room window is worked on
Guest room window is worked on
Bekir disappeared around this time to go and do some business in Kardjali; his lift had been waiting for him when we got back from the shop, but Sally and the other two kept at it putting plastic and French lessons on the windows to protect them from concrete splashes and then mounting the wooden frame which would allow the concrete to be applied. They were at this for pretty much the whole day and at the end of the day all the surrounds were done, and only the guest room windowsill hadn't been poured; that will take a short time tomorrow and then the next items on the list (tiling the guest room floor, maybe?) will be started.

Ralf dozing with a slipper as a pillow
Ralf dozing with a slipper as a pillow
After doing some paid work I decided to drag A outside as she was complaining of being cold (and it has been a colder day today than for a very long time) and I always think moving around is the best thing for being cold as it gets your blood moving. The chore that needed completing with the Ralf proofing which did not take very long at all and having always had far too few of the metal grid panels now we are left with loads; next year we'll have to put them up on the other side of the gate, which now you can't get to because of the brambles. We then headed back inside to have lunch and Ralf settled himself into his bed with one of A's slippers as a pillow. He is a lazy so and so once he has calmed down in the morning.

Me weeding, twenty years apart
Me weeding, twenty years apart
After lunch I was feeling lethargic again myself and with a slight headache so headed outside to do the weeding that I have been putting off for the past week in the fenced garden. First of all we had to remove the bird netting, which is now irrelevant as the plants are really large, so I could get to the weeds. It took a little to do this as the pegs had become buried and next year, with the frames I will make, this will become easier. A then snapped a picture of me getting started which I wanted to (and did, as you can see) pair with a photograph of me and my mum weeding when I was a very young person where she has the same kneeling thing as I have now before A went inside to finish the bed headboard and left me to it.

Before and after weeding
Before and after weeding
I set myself to the simple task of finding a weed and then pulling it out carefully after loosening the soil so that the roots came out as well. It took a little time to clear this bed and the other but when I straightened my back and stood up to take stock it was such a great feeling to look over the vegetable beds and be able to clearly see that we have two radishes, five turnips, 1 purple sprouting broccoli, five cabbage and LOADS of beetroot. It won't feed the five thousand but it is a really good return from not much effort.

The pool has gotten bigger again
The pool has gotten bigger again
After this I went back up to Room 13 and did some paid work while A took a well deserved rest and lay on the sofa listening to whatever music I cued up next. We had Alabama 3 and Meatloaf and Keb' Mo' and the source music for Moby's huge album "Play" and it was really nice to have music on as I don't really listen to music that often out here. I did get you a picture of Rambo's pond however to enjoy, and imagine both of the dogs splashing around in it having a great time.

Rambo in a chilled out mode
Rambo in a chilled out mode
Bekir had headed out again after appearing briefly from his first trip to finish his business and we didn't see him again today but with everyone else here progress was (as I said) still good. After a little while I figured that today was as good a day as any to finish making the raised beds as the stain was dried on the triangles so I carried everything outside and fixed the first two end pieces in place. Rambo came to join me and strangely for him he sat down and just relaxed watching me work. This is exactly what I want him to do and it was great as he was just chilled out and let me talk to him and fuss him without him trying to jump all over me.

Raised beds with windows in place
Raised beds with windows in place
Anyway back to the raised bed I went and got the windows from their storage and then put them in place to ensure that the middle triangle went in exactly the correct place and wouldn't you know it, it was all perfect and the central divider was in the perfect place. Once it was done and I put the windows back on I was so pleased I even waved to the man working in Usmivka's garden and he gave me a thumbs up. It now just needs filling up and then leaving to be planted out next year. And then another three or four made, but much quicker than I've put this one together.

Petchka burning again
Petchka burning again
And so it was suddenly time to take the men and, with no Bekir, the car was pretty quiet but there was some talk towards the end which was nice as I always feel so awkward without enough language skills to communicate in that situation. By the time we headed down the hill all the stones had been swept off the road but there was still dust and gravel from where they had been crushed by cars going over them. I got back to find that the petchka had been lit which was great as it made a lovely popping sound that I really love.

Dinner was the chili from last night and it was just as good as before and since then I've been typing this very slowly while serenading from many old tunes on my hard drive, currently "Deeply Dippy" is playing so judge from that what kind of places this sound track has gone. Time to sign this off though. Bye.

2 comments:

  1. if your vegetable plants survive the winter they will bolt in the spring i.e. run immediately to seed. Use the leaves now in stews. Next year sow seed much earlier to allow a full growing season and time for the plants to develop, keep the seed bed moist and weed free and transplant the larger vegetables - cabbages, broccoli etc once they're big enough to handle - they need space to develop and will swamp other plants growing near them. The remaining seedlings should be thinned again to allow enough room for development. Eat the thinnings don't bother trying to replant them - seed is cheap. Keep everything weed free. Some quick growing veg - lettuce, radishes and the like can be grown successionally but still need a long enough growing season. If you're going to net seedlings - I wouldnt bother - then netting must be easily removeable so that you can get at the plants on a daily basis. Growing veg is not difficult but it is hard regular work which is why so many people give up on allotments once the initial enthusiasm has worn off which it does very quickly. Two radishes from a sowing must be some kind of world record :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment but I know all of this already as I have been growing vegetables for a while now.

      I only sowed a couple of seeds of each as it was a small fun side project to distract me from the building work and other stresses; it's so nice to get out into the garden.

      Regarding the bird netting as I say in the text I have made movable frames for next year but this year it wasn't important enough to worry about. The plants are doing really well and the weeding yesterday just allowed me to see them better. They are fast growing varieties so some should be ready by the time we leave in a month though I think I'll leave them in just for the fun of seeing what is there when we get back next year, early Spring time.

      The whole idea of this planting was to provide me with a little place to go and potter around and get away from all the other pressures of the project; as you say seed is cheap and anyway they have done really well, as have the melons which are now nearing maturity.

      Anyway, thanks.

      Delete