Sunday 14 September 2014

Stud like

Today has very much been a day of two halves and as such has been satisfying and gratifying in equal measure. So without further ado...

Really early morning sky
Really early morning sky
... I slept like a log last night and woke at the usual time needing the toilet but as it is a Sunday there was no rush and it was straight back to bed and to sleep again. I did, however, before getting back into bed get the camera to capture the stunning colour of the sky at that hour and a strange effect where the orange was split vertically by a blue line. I was still feeling funny with the congested head / restless legs (and even as I type this I've still got that feeling - it's not been bad all day but sitting here at the desk has brought it back) so A kindly brought me tea in bed and left me to sleep a bit longer. I didn't stay all that long though and was up as she finished feeding the boys.

Mid tidy and happy
Mid tidy and happy
The first half of the day was devoted to achieving things and in this case it was the wall for the guest room (9 days and counting til my best mate arrives) that needed to be done. Before we could do anything we had to clear out the room of the rubbish left behind by the window fitters so we threw broken window frames out of the back window, took the good ones downstairs to storage, and also shifted a few other bits of stuff out to make space for the room.

Sweeping and shoveling dust
Sweeping and shoveling dust
With all the large stuff out of the way I brought the wheelbarrow up and we swept and shoveled dust and rubble and broken glass into the barrow which I then took and emptied out the back door; we're going to need to dig out everything again back there. It was really dusty but we opened the windows and went for a brew and it settled down again pretty quickly.

Final trim
Final trim
As you will know we had cut the main beams for the first wall the other day, before the window people arrived, so the first thing to do was check them out for length accuracy. We had thought that there were three or four that were too long but on closer examination only one was 5mm too big which I trimmed with a combination of hand saw and jigsaw.

Laid out ready for fixing
Laid out ready for fixing
It was then a task of laying out the component parts, marking up where they should be set, and then going at it with the driver and the big box of screws, and the right angle to make sure everything was square, and it didn't take that long before we had the first four uprights correctly positioned and firmly screwed into place.

A medley of breaktime
A medley of breaktime
We had put the washing machine on this morning, even though the electric is more expensive and we normally run it over night, as last night tiredness caused forgetfulness, so after finishing the first four uprights we went outside, had a brew and played with the boys then when the machine finished I hung the washing out to dry. It was such a good drying day (and the forecast is for terrible weather next week) so we followed the first run with another straight after. We then sat with the boys for a bit more laughing as they both tore apart a cardboard tube that I'd found in the tree the other day (how it got there I do not know) which Rambo at one point took to drop into his pond then ran back looking so proud of himself as it was dripping and limp.

Ralf enjoying the melodies of Machine Head
Ralf enjoying the melodies of Machine Head
We went back in and put the three remaining uprights in place then A headed out to go shopping while I carried on and did the noggins. I put some Machine Head on the stereo to play in the background and Ralf, who we expected to hate the music, actually went into Room 13 and lay in his bed and fell asleep listening to it.

The first wall all noggined and finished
The first wall all noggined and finished
I broke half way through and had a couple of small sandwiches and a banana for lunch then finished the job and I just had time to put the kettle on and settle on the sofa to read before A came back with all the goodies she had bought.

And the wall as it will look (but not there)
And the wall as it will look (but not there)
I helped her unload and we drank the brew before going back to make the other section of wall that we need for the room. This didn't take that long at all and so we lifted them up and I posed like the proud person I am beside the constructions. I will ask Bekir or Sally to help with fixing them to the walls and floor tomorrow, then put the plasterboard on and finally make the new bed tomorrow so we can move in there and empty our bedroom preparatory for electrics and plastering and tiles to go down.

Repurposing old school toys
Repurposing old school toys
With this task completed so ended the first part of the day and it was super satisfying. The entire rest of the afternoon was taken up relaxing, lazing, sat on the balcony falling in love all over again with the quiet, the peace, the view, the lovely nature that surrounds the house, and reading and chatting. I did remember to go and take a picture of a detail on Sassy's run (which despite many attempts this morning, she hasn't managed to break out of again). I made use of the Meccano that I had collected while cleaning the school last year to join each panel together.

Afternoon sky, and super focused Ralf
Afternoon sky, and super focused Ralf
Today has been a bit chillier than for a while though it has still been a lovely day where I have worn shorts and nothing else all day. The sun was in and out behind these super picturesque clouds as we sat at the table reading and chatting. Ralf was with us as well and he was doing his crazy looking for Rambo thing where, when Rambo was in sight, he stands super still and quivering looking at Rambo who then studiously ignores him.

Whoops
Whoops
While I was throwing the old windows out earlier I had caught my side with a nail (the flyscreen had blown shut so I twisted to avoid catching it and caught myself instead). A had to get a picture and as it was there I thought I'd show you. I am an idiot.

The sun peeked out as I was snapping
The sun peeked out as I was snapping
And so dinner got closer to being ready, I went and got the second load of washing in, then we came in from the balcony so I could start this and the smell from the roast chicken was driving us both crazy. Just before serving up time A spotted how gorgeous the sunset was so onto the roof, snapped pictures, waved at the Other Brother as he put the cows away, and back down to keep typing.

Now THAT is a Sunday Roast
Now THAT is a Sunday Roast
Dinner was served and it is just as delicious as it looks in this shot about to be served up. I am typing and eating at the same time, so the blog is out the way for an evening of Sopranos and relaxing before the working week begins tomorrow.

Later

2 comments:

  1. Please, give me your contacts: mobile, FB or e-mail. I'm a TV journalist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day... maybe a while away, I will also get to relax. I do miss telly!

    ReplyDelete