Tuesday 30 September 2014

Goodbye to our guests

Well what a wonderful week that was. It has been so lovely having Cjc and Fi staying and having just got back from dropping them at the airport I feel sad that they have gone but happy that they also enjoyed being here just as much. They embraced every part of being here and were even super happy about the humanure and the shower over the open trench and all the things which it would have been easy to be uncomfortable with. Great guests.

Gorgeous morning view
Gorgeous morning view
The day started too early again as it does with collecting the men - by too early I mean it is dark when the alarm goes off and that just doesn't seem natural to me. It was a slow start but after running to the toilet I made it back out onto the balcony and took a few photographs of the super early morning sky. It is just amazing to see how the sun effects the sky at this time of day and how quickly it changes. I wish I could get a picture of the yellow stage just before this but it is so hard to get the camera to pick those colours up.

Thick mist descended
Thick mist descended
Forty five minutes later after I had cuddled a cup of tea and washed up all the dishes from the amazing spread prepared the night before (including awesome cauliflower cheese) I went back out onto the balcony as the fog had descended and that lovely clear morning had completely disappeared. While I was out there A finished feeding the boys and I was able to watch as they were relatively good at the gate with sitting and waiting to leave.

I didn't last very long doing this
I didn't last very long doing this
A headed out to get the men and after a few minutes I decided to go and make a start on putting the planks into the trailer which I had pulled round to the back last night. I lasted all of eight minutes before heading back inside as it was really cold and the grass was very wet. I was just not having any fun and with the rest of the day relatively busy I figured getting inside and getting a fire going in time for A to return to was more important. Oh well, I did make a start and tomorrow we can focus on this and get loads of it done.

Ralf was cold and wet as well
Ralf was cold and wet as well
I got the fire lit and made a brew for Cjc (as he was just getting up when I came in) and A as she drove along the lane as I was boiling the kettle. Ralf had been outside with me while I was doing the wood moving and he was soaking wet from running around through the grass - proof that I wasn't making it up about how miserable it was out there. I was back to playing Civilisation this morning and enjoying the heat of the fire and again I really enjoyed this. I need to snap out of it a bit though as I will have to get back to paid work tomorrow at least a bit of the day.

Some working, some relaxing
Some working, some relaxing
Our plan for the day was to go to market as it was market day in town. We were heading down about 10 so this left a bit of time to relax before leaving. Ralf led the way in this, finding all sorts of new positions in his bed in which to gain maximum comfort. We were only joined by two men today as Orhan had been at the mastika again (not very impressed with that to be honest) so Bekir and Sally were on their own lifting the tiles up to the roof for their jobs for today. Just before we left Bekir asked me to get some Grunt which is the black sticky stuff for the roof.

Someone in the kitchen was sending me a message
Someone in the kitchen was sending me a message
The fog had cleared by the time we got in the car and when we parked up in town it was lovely and warm. We took a turn slowly around the stalls, with me picking up the red rug I wanted for the other guest room, and a few other items being bought by other people, and then we hit the cash point and returned for another browse where a few more things were bought. After this we stopped off at a cafe for some drinks (I got the best cup) and then it was kebab for A and back to the car where I think I had received a parking fine but I am not totally sure. I needed to ask Bekir about it but forgot. It'll wait until I see him next.

Slippers and a flat cap
Slippers and a flat cap
Among the purchases made today were two which bear conversation. First of all A picked up some little woolen slippers (having destroyed the ones I bought her by wearing them outside and Ralf attacking them). Aren't they cool? They also fit inside the little pink rubber slip ons she bought to wear outside so they won't get damaged every morning. Secondly Cjc bought a rather wonderful hat which he looks great in and I modeled it in the cafe and probably don't look quite as great as he. I won't be getting one of these I don't think. Not yet anyway.

Views across the plain, and an unidentified tree
Views across the plain, and an unidentified tree
I was taking the men home at 4pm so I got back in time to get Cjc and Fi to the airport and so the rest of the afternoon was rest, relaxation, some snoozing and some sitting in the sun and just a lovely quiet way to spend the final afternoon of their visit. On the way to taking the men Bekir said that they wanted tomorrow off which is really good as we're both tired and a lie in sounds wonderful about now. Our timings were spot on and we locked up and set out with plenty to spare, and the sun was still up so they could enjoy the journey over the mountain pass. We stopped a few times on the way for views and at one of them was this tree with huge seed pods. I don't know what it is so any identification would be gratefully received.

Gorgeous shot to end the day
Gorgeous shot to end the day
Of course we reached the airport with time to spare which was good as we were all quite hungry. We ate at the cafe in the departure hall and the sandwiches were pretty good today. When the call came for carry on only to head to the gate Fi and A went outside for a cigarette and then couldn't get back in as the door is exit only. They wanted us to walk past to open it and let them in but there was a man with a gun watching so I indicated no and they had to walk round past the scanner again. Ha. We hugged goodbye and waved them through and then were back in Thomas and away with no delay at the barrier which was good. The sun was down but the sunset was still stunning as we drove round the perimeter road so I stopped and took some shots out the window then A took the camera and got some much better ones, including this one. Stunning.

The drive back was really simple and really quick; we actually got home before their plane was due to take off. I have had a cup of tea while typing this and am now very tired so it is off to bed for me I think.

1 comment: