Tuesday 23 June 2020

Roof progress then more rain

This is being written by a very tired person as last night first Rosie refused to sleep which meant a later-to-bed time than usual and then, an hour after I finally got to sleep, I woke with a terrible headache that didn't let me get back down for another four hours. It's been a long day. I may fall asleep while I'm typing...

Begin the day with decorative edging
Begin the day with decorative edging
Gutter supports
Gutter supports
Guttering in place
Guttering in place
Passing up the bitumen felt
Passing up the bitumen felt
Hardboard onto the roof
Hardboard onto the roof
Anyway, I woke up ten minutes before the men arrived and found Angela had been up a little while already. The men were straight out and working on the roof, aware no doubt that the weather would likely change for the worse. First of all they were putting the decorative wooden boards along the edge of the roof and then later on they fitted the gutters. As you can see from the pictures the early morning cloud gave way to lovely blue skies and hot sun through the morning. The step after the guttering was to put the roofing felt on and then on top of that, the hardboard held down with wooden strips.

Lovely warm time in the pool
Lovely warm time in the pool
Benign looking clouds in the distance
Benign looking clouds in the distance
Men work as the storm builds
Men work as the storm builds
Black clouds in the distance and getting closer
Black clouds in the distance and getting closer
Roof terrace to see the storm
Roof terrace to see the storm
Balcony framing enhances the view
Balcony framing enhances the view
Angela had to pop to town and while she was out I took Rosie for a fun time in the pool until lunch time. The weather was lovely but those clouds towards Greece were probably threatening more than it looked. Sure enough after lunch we were not out to the pool again as the weather built towards another storm. The men kept at it as long as they could and got a large chunk of the roof covered and more waterproof, which was to prove useful. About this time Rosie woke from her nap and before I gave her snack time we went onto the roof terrace to look at the storm(s) as they blew in towards us. It was great, she enjoyed being up there, and I'm glad I took the time as shortly after it started raining a bit.


Sheltering under the now dry roof
Sheltering under the now dry roof
Banister being fitted
Banister being fitted
Measuring and levelling the shelf
Measuring and levelling the shelf
Finished fitted banister
Finished fitted banister
And then it started raining A LOT! I got the men's coffee ready and they were able to sit under the finished area of roof up there and not get rained on. The water still poured through the 2/3 of the roof not completed, however, and pretty soon the balcony was very wet. It did not let up at all until very recently, actually, and so after coffee I got the men in to fit the banisters (which look great!) and then after that measure and start fitting the shelves in Rosie's room. I then remembered that I've not yet got the fixings for these shelves so I'll get them tomorrow. I also finally got the air conditioning remote control hooks attached so that was good.

So there you have it; another good day, it's dry again now and hopefully we have only one more day of this incredibly wet June before we get to summer (just in time for me to be stuck at my desk! hah).

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment