Tuesday 11 January 2022

Snow arrives

Well we're back again after a long weekend and so it's a longer update for me to write so let us get into it.

Pineapple hair do and Xena for Rosie
Pineapple hair do and Xena for Rosie
Riding the trolley like a pro
Riding the trolley like a pro
Excited to paint her wall
Excited to paint her wall
First colour for Rosie
First colour for Rosie
"Look what Mummy did!"
"Look what Mummy did!"
Out for food with Daddy
Out for food with Daddy
Puppies asleep underneath the fire
Puppies asleep underneath the fire

Daddy Saturday started with Xena play time and me trying my best to get Rosie's hair tied up out of the way resulting in an awesome pineapple effect. I took Rosie to the shops to pick up paint for her bedroom but completely misunderstood so I bought loads of paint where one tub each would actually probably have been enough. It was a nice trip out and then call with my family. On Sunday Angela took the paints that I had bought and with some help from Rosie (but not very much) she created the beginning of an awesome mosaic effect on the wall of Rosie's bedroom. That evening I took Rosie to our favourite restaurant on my own as Angela was exhausted after a bad night sleep and discovered that Rosie doesn't like clowns. It was a nice time out, however, though exhausting. Never have I wanted to join the puppies under the fire for a nap so much!

Prefab home delivery service
Prefab home delivery service
Fence torn down
Fence torn down
Cows, stuck truck, JCB and other truck
Cows, stuck truck, JCB and other truck
JCB to the rescue
JCB to the rescue
Burst water main just there
Burst water main just there
Fence is mostly secure enough
Fence is mostly secure enough

Monday the men didn't come as the rain was torrential and they had forgotten about the inside work; it was a busy day for me at work myself until about 3pm when the neighbours started to have a prefab building delivered. I watched carefully as they managed to unload the second section of the building from the second truck, using the first truck's crane and, thinking it was done, went back to my desk only to jump back up when I heard a horrendous tearing sound. Thinking they were knocking down the power lines I rushed to the window to see this green lorry sliding in the mud, catch on our fence, and rip about 10m of the fence completely out of the ground! I went down to see what was going on but the driver was so apologetic and immediately offered to fix it that I couldn't begin to be angry. Really they shouldn't have been delivering in that weather but it was just one of those things. We waited for the second truck to leave before they would start to make the fence at least partially secure and this is when the farce became ridiculous as the driver managed to get himself completely beached and stuck across the lane and he was wheel-spinning and digging in further and deeper and could not move. The first attempt to move him was made using the other truck but it could not shift, spinning its own wheels, so then they brought the JCB around and it was able to hook on with its back hoe and lift and drag the truck back onto the track. All good except something I was worried about happening HAD happened - the front wheel had been digging in directly over our mains water supply and as soon as the truck shifted, the water started pouring out. The boss for the delivery company was on site and got straight on the phone to ViK to get them to fix it, and then he and the other driver worked together to secure the fence good enough for the night. What a drama and the worst part was it was over school collection time. Fortunately The Other Brother was able to collect Rosie for us and bring her home while we were stuck behind the lorries.

ViK on the lane, Bekir and Halil at the fence
ViK on the lane, Bekir and Halil at the fence
Fire lit and working on the lights
Fire lit and working on the lights
Table saw, and roller extensions
Table saw, and roller extensions
Lights go on
Lights go on
Fixing up plug sockets
Fixing up plug sockets
It snowed today
It snowed today

I had agreed with Bekir and Halil that they would have today off as well however when the fence was torn down I rang and they immediately agreed to come in to make it finally secure and so they turned up and got to work in the freezing cold wind and start of the snow. I was very keen for them to not do too much outside as it was horrible weather conditions. The ViK team turned up at the same time and fixed up the water pipe so that was god. I haven't actually been to see what the fence fix looks like but they were happy with it and came inside into the warm to continue on the workshop. I had such an awful night last night (not getting to sleep until 5am) that I didn't work today and took Bekir with me to collect the new table saw and do a few other chores. For the rest of the day they worked to fit the new light fittings in the workshop and then add the new plug sockets on the back bench. Then I sent them home as the weather was continuing to close in. I have no idea if we'll see them tomorrow.

So there it is; what tomorrow brings who knows but today we got closer to workshop and that makes me excited. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Scary truck stuff! Good you have extra help getting Rosie from school. Hope the water mains work properly, the fence holds up for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it was just crazy to watch the whole thing develop... glad no one got hurt as it was so wet and slippy it could have ended worse.

      Delete