Wednesday 18 December 2013

Troubleshooting

As I hinted yesterday with my Sad Trombone section I seem to still be having problems with the electrics and battery in Julian.

There it is again......
There it is again......
Before I send angry emails (or rather, even angrier emails) to the Camper Van Guy I needed to really understand what was going on. Was it that the charger was broken, or was there a drain somewhere when the charger was disconnected which was resulting in the battery flattening itself. Also, why had the hookup (which worked last week) failed to work this weekend, with the red error light on the consumer unit coming on.

As soon as I got home from work I ran the extension cable out through the window and to the hookup point on Julian, then jumped inside to see if the red error light was on. It was not. First success.

Success Number 1
Success Number 1
Next, I had to find if the charger was actually working and so I left Julian hooked up and charging while I watched some rubbish TV and ate my dinner. After a few hours I went out and checked again, turning the charger off at the wall and I had a very nearly full battery. Second success.

Success Number 2
Success Number 2
So I know now that the electrics inside Julian are OK and the hookup cable does work so there must have been a problem with the hookup at the studio, or the extension I used there. Hmmm. I also know that the battery is accepting a charge, but I don't know if it will hold it.

There are two variables here, though. My suspicion is that the charger, when left attached (even though not plugged into the mains) is actually causing a drain on the battery. To check this out I disconnected the charger and left him overnight. As of this morning, the battery had exactly the same amount of charge in it as when I left it last night. Third Success

Success Number 3
Success Number 3
So I have a few more things to do which I will follow up over night. I will check at the end of today to see what the charge is and then, this evening, I will reattach the charger (with no mains) and tomorrow morning find out what the battery level is.

The final thing for me to check requires a drive as I am so sure before I drove to Blackpool at the weekend I had a charged battery; is the drain occurring when the engine is running? I have a couple of trips across to Blackpool planned this week so I will be able to get to the bottom of that scenario too.

At the end of the day all I want is a working electrical system in Julian and if it takes a little while to get there, that's fine I do still have time. I want it sorted soon though.

Fourth down, and we're running the ball
Fourth down, and we're running the ball
Briefly, regarding Thomas, as of yesterday we were still waiting for the part to arrive but the garage are fully prepared and ready to fit it when it arrives. There is a chance I may be able to pick him up tomorrow, which would be brilliant, and if not Friday. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment