Thursday 19 March 2015

A quieter day

Here we are again.  It seems like I was only typing the last one ten minutes ago.  It's amazing how time flies by when you are busy.

So today, what can I tell you?  It has been a relatively quiet one with not much going on, but let's get to it and show you some photos at the very least.

I woke earlier than I have been and managed to actually watch the sunrise.  It comes up so fast here at this time of year and I ran quickly to get the camera, successfully managed to capture a before and during shot.  Here you go, isn't it stunning!

Just before
Just before
Just as it rose
Just as it rose
Once coffee was consumed and the daily chores of feeding the animals, lighting the fire and washing up and cleaning down, I decided that as I had no paid work in from the night before that I would treat Rambo to a walk.  He loves getting off the land for an explore and quickly found the lead in my hand even though I had tried to conceal it until the last moment.  How can you not love this face?

Ready to go
Ready to go
Today, rather than doing the same route as before I decided that I would trek up the mountain path to the lakes and ponds that Rambo loves to paddle in, so off we set.  I was holding him tight through the village as one of the little men I often give a lift into town to had just let out his cows for the day.  Nevertheless, nothing would do than for Rambo to get straight into the cow's drinking trough and have a drink.  We'd only gone 100 yards through the village!  The water had frozen overnight, but he wasn't long in breaking through.

Obligatory drink at the trough
Obligatory drink at the trough
As I walked I took a variety of shots for the Man back home.  The snow is still around and piled up at the side of the roads and tracks, but on the whole it has pretty much melted away.

Village view
Village view
I am not sure why, but I noticed that the ground and rocks at the lower level of the mountain were a strange shade of green.  I thought perhaps it had something to do with the pine trees in the area, but what do I know?  Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Strange green coating
Strange green coating
At the side of the track, as with most mountain routes, there was a drainage section and I couldn't resist trying to get a slow shutter shot of the water, but this was the best I could manage with a glaring sun above me.

Draining
Draining
Further up the track we saw this.  It is so sad to see these trees have taken such a battering, but I guess we have had an extraordinary period of winter weather lately.  It looks like the locals have had their chainsaws out in order to clear the track for traffic.

Trees felled
Trees felled
We walked on towards the lake that Rambo loves and I took this opportunity to hijack His blog to show you an arty farty shot of a tree and the sun.

Arty farty shot
Arty farty shot
Just beyond the felled trees I noticed some birds flocking down towards the lake and I managed to capture a few shots.  This is one, although I am unsure as to the type of bird as they were too far away.

Some birds
Some birds
Maybe this is a rogue one, if you know what it might be?

Rogue from the flock?
Rogue from the flock?
I set off further up the hill after I decided that going to the lake down the field may be too risky on my own as a few wild dogs and the sheep dogs congregate there at times and they are vicious! So We went on up the hill to the reed pond.  Rambo got super excited but he does seem to be responding well to my instruction and discipline which is a real relief.  I love this shot:

Waiting patiently
Waiting patiently
When I finally let him in, this happened!

Woohoo!
Woohoo!
It is a lovely spot here and right behind where I took this next picture is a house build that has been started but not finished which is sad.  Imagine looking out to this every morning:

Potential view
Potential view
I dragged the little bugger out of the pond after he tried his damnedest to drag half a tree out of it (I kid ye not!) and thought it would be nice to get a shot of us both with this backdrop.  I would like to point out that I am not smacking him round the face but rather wiping the gunk from his eyes, no need for RSPCA calls....

Just the two of us
Just the two of us
We headed back after this and I spotted a bird which flew off and I cursed Rambo for running ahead.  I managed to catch it in a tree further back.  Now whether or not we are correct, we call these Jays.  Perhaps some budding bird watcher can let us know the real name.  There seems to be a lot of them around.

Pretty bird
Pretty bird
So, the last of the bird pictures (I am sure you are delighted).  The first little birds (maybe a finch of some kind) have just started to arrive in the last week or so and they sing every morning and rattle the drain pipes.  Buggers.  It is lovely to see that spring must be arriving soon though.  The second is a picture of the neighbours ducks right before Rambo almost ripped my arm off trying to sniff them.

New arrivals
New arrivals
Ducks before the fright
Ducks before the fright
 Anyway, I got him home and he was happy for most of the day, thankfully.  The rest of the day was pretty uneventful I'm afraid.  I got called by the Little Lady across the garden to come for coffee but my work had started to come through so I had to tell her "later, I have work in England" - very basic Bulgarian, but I will hopefully learn fast whilst I am here alone.  I worked hard all afternoon and I had not long finished my last file when the electric clicked off.  I went downstairs to the fuse box to make sure nothing had flicked off and sure enough it was an external problem.  I went outside to play with Rambo and collect a little bit of wood to bring in from the land to dry off and use for burning when Little Lady again hollered for me to go for a coffee.  This was a bit frightening forme as I have only VERY basic words under my belt so far.  Bless her, she nattered on to me like I was a local and I just laughed when she laughed and tried very hard to pick out some key words.  I did manage to tell her that I had stew on at home and thanked her when she offered me some of hers, so I guess I am doing ok.

Anyway, before I sign off, we are set for more snow.  How much will become clear by tomorrow afternoon, I guess, but these clouds do not look inviting!

Storm brewing
Storm brewing
Catch you all tomorrow.  Leka nosht.

A x


2 comments:

  1. The pretty bird is a jay. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jay is Garrulus glandarius and the "finch" is a common sparrow, also known as a house sparrow, Passer domestics.

    ReplyDelete