Monday 23 March 2015

Work begins again

Last night I took Rambo to the bedroom with me for a certain peace of mind after the events yesterday that, quite frankly, gave me the heebie jeebies.  I was still a bit tearful late last night and I think it must have been the release after all the excitement, but I just did not feel like being on my own.  This turned out not to be the best idea.  The big lump woke me several times in the night nudging me, trying to get on the bed and licking my face, but ultimately I was glad he was there anyway.

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I had to set my alarm for the first time since being here as I had got confirmation that Bekir and Sally were coming to work for us again to help us seal off the roof terrace by completing the final stage that was incomplete the last time, amongst other little jobs.

So I was up and out of bed at around 6.30am with all the chores to do and then to go collect them.  I went straight down and fed Rambo and stopped on the way backup to feed Sassy as the kettle boiled for my coffee.  As I was making the coffee the birds sand away and I caught these two just mooching around on the window ledge opposite.

 Morning song
Morning song
I set off to collect the men at around 7.30 and forgot just how stunning some of the views are along the way.  On the main road there have been several landslides down the step cliffs and onto the road which have now been cleared.  This snow really has caused some damage.  As soon as we got back both men jumped out of the car and basically walked around the outside of the School to locate any damage done over winter, obviously hoping the the roof was solid, which of course it was.  They did notice the drains that had bent under the pressure of the snow.  The first thing I told them was that there was no paid water and straight away Bekir was off up to the Kmet's house/office to complain.  he came back and huddled around the manhole with Sally and had a good look.  They probably thought I hadn't turned it on - haha.

I was typing away and doing some work when I heard animated voices downstairs and when I looked out the Special One and the men were fiddling around at the cooker.  I'm still unsure as to what they were doing or trying to do, but they soon dispersed and got on with their respective jobs.

Gathered around
Gathered around
Bekir is a star when it comes to getting things done.  VIK, the water board, said they would be out TODAY!  Blimey.  In the UK you would have to fill in an online form, speak to three different sections and then be put on hold for three days.  Not here.  the Kmet rang and they were here within an hour or so.

VIK to the rescue
VIK to the rescue
Unfortunately they were not able to do much then and there but went off to see if they could find the problem.  They never did return, but called Bekir and told them they had found the problem and something about tomorrow that I didn't quite catch.  Fingers crossed though.

I had asked the men, after some discussion with the boss in the UK, to level up the roof terrace roof in preparation for it to be sealed and so after explaining the height to Bekir he asked if we could go into town to pick up some supplies, which we did.

By the time we got back with six bags of cement in the back of Lucy, more pulley equipment and some strong red rat poison, I was starving.  It wasn't quite lunchtime, but it was close enough.  It had been cold today so I had lit the petchka first thing.  I decided that I wouldn't rush lunch and I would do some work but also make use of the petchka heat and so I set the beans on top and waited.

Cooking like a local
Cooking like a local
It really didn't take long at all and before I knew it I had four slices of toast and a whole can of beans in my belly.  Much needed.  Once i had sorted myself out after lunch and in between working at my own work, I headed upstairs to see the progress.  They had knocked down a lot of the brickwork and redone it as the cement holding everything together was no good and had started to crumble.  So, here are the men working away.

Sally
Sally
Bekir
Bekir
 And of course, Rambo the worker!

Rambo hard at work
Rambo hard at work
I had managed to explain about the wall height and the railings to go on top and that we wanted it all sealed as it was leaking through.  Sally went down to have a look at the water damage.  he didn't seem too perturbed though.  It is a strong old building and it will take a lot more than a bit of damp to finish it.

I finished up my work, went and brought in the washing from yesterday that I had forgotten about and took a walk around the land.  The first thing I noticed was the plum tree beside Rambo's enclosure.  Much as it has been damaged in the snow, it is blooming away.  I am glad this is doing so well.  this is the tree that helped me to learn to count to ten!

Counting plum tree
Counting plum tree
Here you can just see the broken branch.  It was a big one too.

Fair bit of damage
Fair bit of damage
Further on down towards the front vehicle gate I found the flags staring to sprout.  It is completely different to the overgrown mass of wild flowers and brambles it was last year, but no doubt they will all come back up again when the weather changes again.

Flags
Flags
A whole tree has come down in front of the green building.  The only thing this will be good for is burning after Himself gets the branches for another Hugelkultur, no doubt.
Whole tree down
Whole tree down
And so the day drew to a close.  I had parked Lucy back on the land and have no idea how I got her in with six bags of cement in the back - her rear clearance is not good at the best of times when trying to get up and down the lane, but she was back, briefly.  I moved her back to outside the front of the land when i returned from dropping the men off.  There is no need to risk ripping her underside unnecessarily and she is my only form of transport.

Lucy back on the land
Lucy back on the land
And so to tonight.  I was so jealous of his dinner last night that I had to make the same myself today and it was bacon and cabbage with spuds!!  It was fabulous.  What was even more fabulous was that the Mr had just arrived to view some Jack Russell puppies.  We had set ourselves a task of finding a ratter and no better breed that a Jack.  He came out of the house having put a deposit down on BOTH of them because there were only the two of the three left that he had thought he was going to view.  Apparently he couldn't leave one on its own!  I'm not complaining though, I would have twenty dogs around.  So he will keep them with him, get them vaccinated, passported and bring them back with him on his drive back over.  How exciting!!

PUPS!
PUPS!
So, that is today.  What a cracking day it has been too.  We are both so thrilled to have progress staring again and the men back on site for however long they are able.  I am off to lay the poison, Rambo is outside and I now cannot wait for the two pups to arrive!  And of course the main man himself, obviously!

Leka nosht!
A xx

No comments:

Post a Comment