Tuesday 24 March 2015

The rise and fall of the rat

Today, I woke early again despite it being a day off from paid work as I still needed to collect the workmen.  I was up at 6.30 and had slept really well without a Rambo bodyguard, so that is a good sign. The usual chores awaited and this morning I fed Rambo in his enclosure as was the routine before we left.  However, he still is not finishing all of his breakfast. I am not sure if this is just an adjustment phase as he was being fed twice a day and most likely with different foods, but I am trying not to worry too much as he seems very happy.  Sassy was her usual self and came for a fuss as I came in with her food.  She is still looking in great condition.

I had a few other things I wanted to achieve today such as starting off a few seeds. So after I collected the men and they had wandered off to the front of the property with a pick axe (I had no idea why but left them to it for a while) I decided to be brave and go and look for the Mr's bundle of gig t-shirts he had been so worried about.  I went to the wooden box which he thought they might be in, which was in the now named "rat room" (the downstairs store room where the first nest was discovered). I put my gloves on and had a rummage around, finding a few bits and pieces of clothes, cups and all manner of stuff packed in there, including a pair of purple flared corduroy trousers - best not to ask! As I pulled out said trousers, a few droppings fell out of them and when I looked into the box I saw more. AND THIS!

Poison worked!
Poison worked!
I thought they were alive at first and that they had been sleeping so I think I froze for an instant, then my heart almost popped out my chest.  I dropped the trousers and kicked the box, no movement; I left the room to compose myself and obviously get the camera.  So it seems that the poison has been working at least.

I went out to shout at them to come in for a second but they were in the middle of a big hole in the road.  That is what they had done with the pick axe! Bekir used to work with the water board here, so he was down there trying to sort out our water situation, bless him.

Fixing the water
Fixing the water
How far down is it?
How far down is it?
 I decided I would leave them to it until they were less busy.  It was not like the rats were going anywhere.  I was so beside myself again about the rats that I did the unthinkable and went online to look at a few facts.  These rats were juveniles. They were small and probably only a couple of months old, if even.  When I looked at a few pages on t'web it told me that a litter will consist of, in general, 6-12 baby rats.  So this means I am still missing at least four babies and a mother - that is the best case scenario.  Not a good scenario, but I'd take it. I sat and whined to the Mr about the whole situation and generally was a big girl's blouse, but it helps to get it off my chest and we decided that despite the fact that these things can and will chew their own legs off if caught, that I would buy traps.  I'm not overly keen but I will just about try anything to get rid of them.  I don't like sharing my living space. They need to be gone.

I decided not to be brave - because I'm not - and would leave the disposal job as a blue job for one of the men to sort which they did later by just walking it, grabbing their tails and rummaging through the rest of the box to make sure there were no more and then walking out to the burning pit.  They make me look like a complete and utter wuss!  I don't care though, I am so thankful they are here and looking after me in the Mr's absence.

I was due to go to town and meet S&S for lunch at 1pm so I faffed around achieving absolutely nothing except a photo of the bulbs coming through.  Spring is arriving it seems!

Lots of bulbs
Lots of bulbs
So I got ready and took myself into town.  The original plan today and the main reason for having a day off, was to go into town for market day, mooch around and then meet S&S for lunch at my favourite kebab shop.  Flipping rats - they are consuming my life at present!  I didn't take the camera with me, mostly because my head was all over the place and I forgot.  We had a lovely chat and lunch and then I went to buy a top up for the Bulgarian brick (phone) that I now have. S told me that the Mr had been messaging him and was really worried and he had been asked to make sure I got some traps, so off we went to the hardware store and picked up seven.  S wanted me to buy more but I thought seven was more than plenty.  I wish I had bought more now.  Never mind.  I have them and I will use them!

When I got back home I brought my purchase back and showed it to Bekir who smiled and said "Dobre!" (Good!).  I don't suppose he'll think it too good when he has seven rats to dispose of, but how and ever. They were working on the roof by this stage and when I went back to the front of the garden they had the hole completely filled in.

Filled in
Filled in
I came back to discover that I have indoor water again!  What a man!  The boiler was on and it was heating up nicely.  This will make things much easier for me in every way!

I went back up to the office and spent a little time speaking to the man in the UK and told him of my day.  I also remember hearing that rats are suspicious of new objects so I decided that I would add a bait to each of the traps tonight but not arm them and put them in the places they will be tomorrow night when I will in fact arm them ready to exterminate the little buggers!  Himself thought this was an excellent plan so I went off to see if I could set the trap.  Nope!  Despite watching the man in the shop who had shown me three or four times, I could not remember at all - haha! Finally and after a lot of cursing and almost snapping my hand off, I mastered it.  Horraaaay!

I went up to the roof reasonably late on today to see all they had done after the water battle and they had done really well.  The did have to take down and reset some of the brickwork but now the terrace wall is at around the right height for the railings to go in and around.  Excellent.

Terrace wall
Terrace wall
Bekir securing the brickwork
Bekir securing the brickwork
New pulley
New pulley
At around 5.30 they were finished and ready to go and so I made my way to their village.  Along the main road something has happened just beneath the surface and the road has raised so much it is almost like a speed hum right along the width of the road, not sure what has caused it but definitely something to remember for the morning run.

Just as I pulled into the village I could see the sun dropping very fast so I legged it upstairs and then to the attic with the camera to catch this:

Sunset
Sunset
It gets dark very quickly at the moment so off I went to start dinner, to pour a beer and to sit down for ten minutes before I had to make the rice to go with my pork chops that had been slow cooking all day.  And here I am now, tired and achy and about ready for bed.  So I will leave you with one thought:  I hate rats.

Nanight
A xx





4 comments:

  1. I have been following this blog pretty much since the beginning. Enjoy hearing how you and the "Mr" are settling into life in BG. Have you considered getting a cat or two? The cats in our neighborhood (near Plovdiv) seem to be very good mousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have just purchased two Jack Russells in the UK which the Mr will be bringing back in May. Hopefully by the time next winter arrives they will then be old enough to do the business! We aren't big fans of cats sadly.

      Delete
  2. We really need to know what happened in the hole and how it fixed the water.

    It's a man thing.


    Rolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did man things with spades, pick axes and pipes. (I dunno, but I have water, so image they wired it up properly :/)

      Delete