Monday 9 March 2015

And we're off...

This if the first of a two part update which I am going to do this morning; the reason for breaking this down will become apparent pretty quickly I hope. I've lots to write so without any further ado, let's cast my mind back to last week... the last week in the UK for A, and the last for a while for me.

What my test oval will look like
What my test oval will look like
I have been enjoying work recently and Monday was a good day in the office, with a new guy starting who seems really nice and on top of things. In the evening I was able to lay out the new track into an oval and it fit so I attached the two sheets of chipboard, leaving a slight gap so I could route the power cable without difficulty.

The chicken coop from the Dragons
The chicken coop from the Dragons
The next task was to take the chicken coop out of the back of Thomas and take it to bits for transport. This really didn't take me much time and once it was apart it fit in very easily by sliding over the top of one of the chairs and acting as a weight to keep other bits from moving around. By the time I'd done this, however, the light had gone and so I didn't have time to do any soldering; that would have to wait for later in the week, if I was going to run any trains at all before leaving.

What a beautiful creature
What a beautiful creature
As I was shifting the coop about I suddenly saw that what I had thought was a wing from a dead butterfly was moving and it was actually a really beautiful creature and alive. With A's help I carried the box into the shed and we lifted it out and put it in safe place hoping that it may survive; it's rather early for a butterfly though so I don't hold out much hope. Anyway, anyone have any idea what kind this is?

Valhalla moored up across the water
Valhalla moored up across the water
Tuesday was the day of the gig. I had promised A that this week would be free from plans but last week Jon Gomm announced that his tour was back on and the date in Chester was on this Tuesday. I pleaded and won a concession and so, after work, we made our way to the venue and parked up early and in time to order some food. As it happened, Cat and Ryan's boat was moored right next to the venue. They hadn't been able to get tickets as it had sold out too quickly however Cat walked over to join us while we ate which was really nice. The food was also very nice indeed.


Once it was time for the music to start we made our way into the tiny hall and took a seat, saving a pair for Loz and his housemate who were supposed to be joining us. They finally arrived just before the music started and settled down. The opening act was a young guy whose name I can't remember now who lived just up the road from the venue. He was pretty good and did a cracking cover of "Eye of the Tiger" in the finger style which involves using the guitar as a scratch pad, drum kit and bass guitar, as well as playing melodies. Once he was done we waiting for Jon and then he was there, walking on with his hoody up and looking a bit nervous, I thought. He opened with a jam and then got into the meat of his set.


It was an absolutely incredible gig. What a good decision to grab tickets and go. Jon is a Blackpool lad and I have known him on and off for many years. He played for a good hour and a half and it seemed to pass in a flash. At the end he unplugged and walked all the way to the middle of the hall so the people at the back would be able to get a better look at what was going on and when he did this he had us all singing along to a Bob Marley track. Unfortunately it was too dark when he was back there to get any good pictures or videos but it was a magical moment and once again I say it was such a cracking night; amazing.

Jon Gomm of the Three Hands - AMAZING!
Jon Gomm of the Three Hands - AMAZING!
Too soon the music was over and we headed back through the night to our little house, having said goodbye to Loz and the housemate and left them at the bar where they bought a couple of CDs and got Jon to sign them and everything. As it happened I didn't actually get to speak to Jon at all; when I saw him before the gig he was shooting off somewhere and then afterwards we were so tired we had to leave however just getting to watch him play was enough.

Tiny plug for the back of the Z21
Tiny plug for the back of the Z21
Wednesday there isn't very much to say about; we were shattered and so didn't do much other than read and chill on the sofa. About the only thing I achieved was to strip the wires using my new wire stripper tool and then attach the socket which goes into the back of the Z21 DCC controller to get power onto the tracks. I also put together the soldering iron but it was too dark to do the actual soldering once I had finished so again I left it and read.

Not my topmost best skill, soldering
Not my topmost best skill, soldering
Thursday was a double pub day; at lunch time we went for food from work though sadly A was not able to get to meet us as she had work to do. After work Loz came to say goodbye to us both finally and got a cake from A (the true reason he came, obviously) and then I set to with the soldering iron and had a 50% success rate. I have never been very good at this task but practice does make perfect so I will just keep at it. Eventually it got too dark (again) and so I stopped trying and we headed to the pub for a quick pint with my boss before going shopping at Tesco for the journey. It was great to chat with Gerd in a social setting and afterwards the shopping was quick and painfree, though slightly expensive.

It has rubbed in the past
It has rubbed in the past
This last Friday of the week, the last before the final return, I actually had to go into the office for a meeting so my lay in wasn't quite as awesome as it normally is. No matter, the meeting was useful and I was back home by about 11am and able to work from home and achieve loads to prepare for the off. One thing we had decided and that was that I would be cutting the bodywork on Harrison to prevent any bodywork rubbing on the back wheels. You can see from this picture that it has happened at some point in the past. I sent A off to get more hacksaw blades while I was in the office and so when I got back I set to with them. I quickly realised that I would not get anywhere without a drill so I knocked on next door and they kindly lent me one. This enabled me to make the first impression on the fibre glass however after twenty minutes of sawing I had made almost no progress and was starting to get very tired.

Using the reciprocating saw
Using the reciprocating saw
And so it was back off to B and Q for me where I found a cheap reciprocating saw with some spare blades and with the correct tools the job was easy. I was able to cut off both arches for the wheels in about twenty minutes and did it with a smoother cut. I also looked damned cool while I was at it. A had by no means been idle in this time and had baked more cakes, one of which was a gift for my parents, and also packed up the final bits and pieces which we easily fit into the back of Harrison. With the arches cut away I was so much happier; maybe he would even make it all the way.

So at 3pm I signed off from work and pulled Harrison forwards off the drive. There were a few forgotten items, including straight away "where is the Sat-nav?" "Oh, I thought it was in the van?" which was quickly rectified and then we were on the road and rolling.... rolling towards home.

2 comments: