Saturday 21 March 2015

Unreliable utilities...

Hello and welcome back.  Yesterday I had no electric from around 2.30 local time, so this meant that I was unable to blog.  It did however, flicker back on late in the evening briefly but I was heading to bed so I am afraid I didn't bother writing anything,  There was not that much to tell again to be honest, I was mainly working and then without electricity, I was mostly taking the opportunity to relax, but I will try to elaborate a little.

When I woke up yesterday, I saw something I did not quite expect!  I knew we had been due some snow, but when I clambered out of bed I saw about 2-3 inches.  This was not pleasing to me as I had forgotten to move the car up to the top of the village and I thought I would be stranded again.

More snow
More snow
It didn't take long for the snow to start melting.  Thankfully it was the wet fluffy sort and the sun started to make an impression even from behind the clouds early in the morning.

Starting to melt
Starting to melt
Rambo doesn't care what the weather is doing - the dog is a machine.  He wants to play sun, rain, hail or shine.  Completely relentless.  Bless him.

It suddenly occurred to me at around 10am (it takes a while for the coffee to kick in) that the snow on the roof terrace would again come through the walls and down into Sassy's room.  this room had shown considerable signs of drying out, so I decided I would get up there and start shovelling.  Whether I have maintained a level of fitness from last year or whether I am just more stubborn than I thought, it only took a half an hour to clear it all.  Very pleased with that!

Roof terrace
Roof terrace
Cleared
Cleared
It was soon to be the time to go outside and watch the partial eclipse that had been promised here in Bulgaria.  Sadly, whether it was my technique or the poor quality of the eclipse here (it didn't even go dark) this was the only kind of shot I could get and believe me, there were about 30 of these on the camera.  The eclipse really wasn't anything noticeable here, sadly.

Rubbish eclipse
Rubbish eclipse
At around 11.30 I decided I would make a stew for dinner.  I stuck in in the slow cooker on a high heat, always aware that the electric can go off, which is lucky really because after a couple of hours, it did!  I was wondering at this point what to do about this stew, but of course, I have the petchka.  In my (rare) wisdom, when I bought my slow cooker, I bought one that could have the internal pan sat on naked flame, so I merely transferred the stew to the top of the petchka and kept the heat in the fire.  This worked really well and I am delighted that we always have a back up, slow as it may be.

Stew slow cooked
Stew slow cooked
So without much to do, I decided to open some boxes that I had not yet got to.  In one I came across Rambo's toys that we bought in the UK before we arrived.  What had arrived was a huge, bottom heavy plastic Kong.  Not like the rubbery one he already has, so I decided that I would take it out and video the response to it.  I was in absolute stitches at him when he first saw it.  I thought his tail would fall off!  I was videoing and laughing away and then my phone died!  I was gutted, but I thought it would have saved it all for me.  Turns out that when I eventually got to charge the phone later that night that the video had not saved.  So I'm afraid you will have to take my word for it.  Sorry.

New Kong
New Kong
So I cut some wood and started to prepare for the sun going down and being plunged into darkness.  And sure enough, the sun set and I managed to capture it before dark.

Sunset
Sunset
There really was not much to tell you about after that, except that I lit a load of candles and read for as long as my eyes would allow.

Candle light
Candle light
Just as I went to gather myself for bed, the electricity (tok) came back on.  I was too tired by this point to blog and so I had a quick chat with the Mr and took myself to a cold bedroom.  I purposely did not light the fire last night just so that I could see how cold I would get.....

And so to this morning (if you can even say it was morning!).  I woke around 6am and had to use the bathroom, deciding that as it was the weekend I would take myself back to bed for an hour or so.  I woke at 10am (this just shows that I was plenty warm enough afterall)!  Sun streaming through the bedroom window and not a sound to be heard except for the birds.

Sassy was on great form today when I went to feed her.  She is such a happy bunny. I must have overlooked her water supply last night when i went to see her as this morning she had absolutely none and when I poured some into her bowl with the little plant watering can, she supped it from the flow - hahaha.  Thirsty bunny.  I would just like to point out that she hopped out of there after I took this shot:

Sassy bum
Sassy bum
As I was up so late this morning there really hasn't been much going on and therefore very few photos to show you.  I was supposed to go into town today to lunch with S as her S was away abroad also and we were going to be ladies who lunch.  Sadly, she woke up with a sore throat and not feeling particularly well so she decided a day of rest was required.  I still had a few bits that I wanted to get in town, so I had a good wash, washed my hair and trundled on on my first trip into the town centre.  I was a bit excited - sad as that may be, but I genuinely was looking forward to testing out my communication skills (or lack thereof) and also my knowledge of the area and driving around a busy town on a weekend.  It all went swimmingly.  I followed the Mr's instructions and parked up in our usual car park and headed down to the market.  To be fair, I really didn't need any vegetables as I have a fridge full of them from the last shop, but I ventured in anyway - I love the smell!

I picked up a few nuts as I am planning on trying to conjure up a bird feeder and table at some point, so this will push me to do this.  I then decided that I had to eat something.  We often go to the same pace whilst in this market area, so I found myself a seat and ordered a kebab, chips and a beer.  It is not usual here for a woman to be in a bar or eating place on her own, so I did get some looks but in all honesty, the men smiled as I smiled and I did not in any way feel uncomfortable.  So when my food came I realised that perhaps the kebab that I get in my local town is probably more Turkish and it is a kebab (but much better) as we know it in England.  In a Bulgarian establishment, it seems like a kebab is not as I expected which explains when I said I only wanted one the lady serving me looked shocked and asked if I was sure....

Lunch
Lunch
Anyway, between the chips and the bread, I was happily satisfied and I went for a mooch around the shops.  I wanted to buy slippers and a tracksuit top but I restrained myself as the prices were twice what they are in our local Tuesday market.  I will just hold off for a few days and get a better deal.  I also went in search of the little pet shop that was tucked away and where the Mr got the rat poison, but I could not find it at all.  Hopefully, as I have not had any nibbling on the remaining sachets, the little buggers have all been got!  We will see.

I left town and popped into two separate supermarkets to get a few bits and bobs, an electric blanket and mostly some more meats and then I headed home.  The electric had again gone off this morning as I left the house and it again popped on just as I got home; handy!

Again, the wood needed stocked up and so off I went while I still had electric and light:

More wood
More wood
After a short time tidying and cleaning in room 13, here we are.  I am cooking a paella (sitting currently on the petchka) and am about to eat it and watch the remainder of the rugby - it looks like the Green Army have done the business!!  (sorry love)

Dinner
Dinner
Anyway, I will sign off and thank you for your patience and time spent reading.

Leka nosht!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I think you're very brave and doing great. Nice to get the female perspective on things as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...thank you very much. However, you may change that opinion if you see me jump 3 foot in the air every time I hear a noise I don't recognise! :)

      Delete