Saturday 28 March 2015

Double Bubble

I didn't blog yesterday, not for any good reason, merely because I was just exhausted and I didn't want to.  Plus, I really hadn't very much to type about as my own work has been so chaotic.

So yesterday the men worked really hard, mostly in the rain.  It really was shocking weather.  I also had a lot of work going on and looming deadlines which meant I was going to have to work over the weekend also.  This was not pleasing to me and will therefore not provide for a very good or informative blog, but the simple matter is that I really have not done a whole lot other than work, so apologies.

As I said, the men worked hard, as always and I saw some fantastic process when I dragged myself away from work to go up and see if they wanted a coffee.  Bekir had knocked the chimney down a little after some charades being played and him explaining that if it was too high we would lose the view from inside the double doors - which is where we plan to have some comfortable chairs to chill and maybe read on, so I agreed with him and we brought it down another brick or so.  It made sense - they really do think about our needs and the end use for everything.  Her he is unblocking the chimney with a wire rod.  He was really going for it here.

Chimney cleanng
Chimney cleanng
Sally was finishing off on the wall with the cement.  They really are doing a great job and the satisfaction I felt when I went up there and saw roughly how it would all look and the space we will have is just great!

Cementing
Cementing
So lunch time came and I had worked really hard all morning, barely moving from my desk as the lack of photos will testify to.  I talked myself into going up to the attic and clearing or at least investigating the rats nest further.  I had to consider this a lot before I actually did it, not least because I have cuts and things on my hands and arms and rats really are dirty.  So I found my gardening gloves and decided to go for it, fully expecting to find more dead ones.  This has turned out to be quite a large nest and it does make me wonder where they are if they are not here.  I didn't even find any poison in there either.  This is what I removed and there was as much again all wedged into little pockets of wood that I just gave up on to be honest.

Rats Nest
Rats Nest
More work ensued, playing Kong with Rambo so as he has some company throughout the day and an afternoon coffee break arrived.  I took my camera to see how the men were doing and I caught Bekir as I topped the stairs cutting some metal to extend the chimney pipes.  I love how they pay no regard to H&S and just cut away, sparks flying all over loose bits of wood and sawdust.  Hah.

Cutting metal
Cutting metal
It was mid-afternoon at this point and the rain had really started to come down so I offered them to go early and they refused saying they had a bit more to do.  They carried on, as did I with my own work.

As 5.30 was approaching I went up to fill my buckets with wood while it was still light and also to get a shot of the finished work for the day.  They have done so well and next week I hope the weather holds for long enough for them to make further progress.

Finishing off
Finishing off
As we left to drive the men back to their village, the heavens opened!  I had forgotten just how much rain falls here at times and a storm was setting in.  A very slow journey was made and an even slower one back as I had almost aqua-planed a couple of times on the way there.  Just as I pulled into our village the rain eased, which was great as I had gotten soaked as I left!  Rambo was oblivious to the rain and was soaking wet and standing looking insistent that I played "throw the kong".  Bang out of luck on this occasion, Rambo!

The evening was uneventful with the exception of a storm that passed by briefly but had provided a lightning strike right outside on the patio.  I check on Rambo and saw he was a bit shaken so I stayed down with him for a while and then I had a few beers and a couple of ports and headed to bed.

Today was mostly work I'm afraid.  I managed in between to collect firewood, spend some time with Rambo and Sassy and bake a cake.  The neighbours are always bringing us gifts and food etc so I thought it might be nice if I baked a cake for them.  In between typing this morning I managed to get one made and was so glad to have got my mixer out again.  There is something very therapeutic about baking and cooking, I love it.

Cake!
Cake!
As you can see, I had to taste the cake to make sure it was ok.  Alas, when I went to deliver it there seemed to be visitors next door, so I have resigned myself to the fact that there won't be enough of it left to give to them and I will bake them another, tomorrow maybe.

I really haven't done much more today than work and spend time outside with Rambo.  I hate that he might be lonely out there and hopefully when Thelma and Louise arrive he won't be.

I am going to sign off and watch a film this evening, so until tomorrow, leka nosht!




No comments:

Post a Comment