Tuesday 1 October 2013

Another full day of progress

Today was another full on day with rather a lot achieved. First, however  I forgot to add some detail to the blog yesterday so without further ado...

Bekir was able to talk to EVN (the electricity people) and the Obshtina and during the day yesterday received a telephone call from the office to say that they were able to stamp my Skitza (basically the plan of the property and buildings as they sit on the land) to turn it into a "new" one and once this was done EVN would be able to provide the connection. Brilliant.

In the evening, after a fantastic pasta meal, I sat with a beer and reviewed the contract from Veselka. There were a couple of issues so after a quick call to Chaz I put an email together and hopefully these will be sorted out for my next meeting with her on Monday. I also arranged to spend the night at his on Monday so I can go straight to the airport on Tuesday.

Last night there was the most amazing thunder storm which rumbled round the whole valley for hours, with howling gales.

I was very pleased to get to the school this morning and see that no more roof had collapse.

Didn't I segue nicely to today there ;)

The first part of today was taken up with ordering materials to sort the roof out (they were to be delivered during the day) and then going to the Obshtina to get the Skitza stamped (20 lev for that small action but hey) and then on to EVN where I had Bekir helping me, and the friendly lady from my previous visit, and paid my 94 lev up front cost for getting a 15kw connection to the school. I am not totally sure when this will happen, maybe one or two days, maybe a month, but at least that is done.

My awesome sink
My awesome sink
We went back to the school after this, having picked up more Banichkas (they really ARE amazing for breakfast) and then the two men went to digging the rest of the trench for the paid water, and I did my best to fix the sink I had bought under my tap. After a bit of help from Bekir where he used a flame to soften the drainage pipe to fit it to the waste on the sink, this is now fitted and has been used multiple times. Such small things make such a big difference.

Neighbour's Chili
Neighbour's Chili
Guard dog
Guard dog
Neighbour with yoghurt drink
Neighbour with yoghurt drink
Myself and my friend were invited by me friendly neighbour to go see her new barn (for her cows, I think) and on the way we saw her garden and her VERY barky guard dog. She picked us some strawberries and the first one I ate was amazing, but the next was quite sour. Later in the day she also brought us some more of the yoghurt drink which I like but my friend isn't so keen on.

Carving a washer
Carving a washer
Bekir was still fixing plumbing and he found that he was missing a washer. Over in England that would be a case of "oh no get in the car go to the shops" but he pulled some rubber from somewhere (it looked like a shoe) and got a knife and carved one. Such incredible versatility.

At this point the thunder came over again so we had lunch and waited for it to go; I tried to get some wood to wedge a window shut from in the roof but when there was a bang of thunder and the whole structure moaned I jumped and legged it; I'm brave but not that brave.

The landing before
The landing before
The landing afterwards
The landing afterwards
After this cleared went got the trusty shovels and wheelbarrow out and cleared the stairs to the attic, and then all around where the men will need to work to support the roof, so they can pick this up first thing tomorrow. This was an INCREDIBLY dusty experience so the shower I have just taken was very welcome indeed.

Me very happy in the rain with a wheelbarrow
Me very happy in the rain with a wheelbarrow
So was the rain while I was wheeling the barrow to the dump point.

The delivery van arrives
The delivery van arrives
Wood inside
Wood inside
Then the delivery arrived and the men unloaded the van with all the wood and brought it inside the entrance and it was at this point, with the rain pouring down, that we decided to finish the day a little earlier and head for our Kushtes (homes). The very very smiling husband of my neighbour appeared as we were leaving and left with a bale of hay as big as him, staggering up the road but refusing my offers of help.

So now I am at my friends, typing really fast because one this has been posted I am leaving for the small restaurant for beer and food. And I am hungry.

I hope this rain clears because it did impact today and tomorrow we want to be up in the roof doing the chimney and starting to add support. My task will be to go around and put some polythene over windows where the rain was pouring through today.

Laters

2 comments:

  1. Assorted 'O' ring washers needed, difficult (but not impossible) to find here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up, son, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete