Wednesday 23 October 2013

Challenges with Julian

The chap came out to look at Julian yesterday to quote for removing the fridge (it being plumbed into the gas means its a bit more than a task I want to undertake) and updating all the electrics to run off 240V from the hookup.

He was early which is something I really like in a business (Veselka take note haha) and had to come back later as no one was there to unlock the gate and allow him access.

His feedback was not the greatest, specifically regarding the gas system and getting the fridge out.

Stupid Americans
Stupid Americans
To cut a long story short because Julian is an American vehicle (damn those yanks) his pipe work is not standard size (well, not European size). Not only this but there is no isolation valve for the supply to the fridge. This is what I found out myself when I was trying to get it working (which is nice; I was questioning myself) but the problem is, with non standard pipes and no existing isolation valve, he is going to struggle to cap off the fridge supply so I can continue to use the water heater and cooker.

He is trying to get hold of a plumber who may be able to help but my suggestion of "just getting it welded shut" was not looked on with favour.

It was better news regarding the electrics and he has suggested a cheaper method of having a battery charger with a small house distribution box and a mains powered battery charger to charge the leisure battery from the mains, and hopefully the alternator charging into the leisure battery still working.

I have told him to fix the electrics immediately and to not worry too much about removing the fridge. If I can't remove it I will just put books in it or something, use it as a cupboard, and never mind.

Pierre
Pierre
In other news the nice couple who were texting me all weekend about Pierre unfortunately came back to me yesterday saying they were unable to find a place to store him so I have accepted the offer for the full amount on eBay. Now I wait to hear from this person (who is actually in Down and will therefore have to come over on a ferry to collect him) and arrange for them to collect him.

I am not totally convinced that this will work out; I've not sold anything via "Best Offer" before and it feels a little less certain than the bidding process. All I can do now is wait (again).

6 comments:

  1. Fold the pipe flat, heat it and bend it back on itself, braze. We used to do it all the time.No worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the chap wasn't impressed when I said that :)

      Do you fancy a trip to Blackpool to give that a go? Drinks on me afterwards? :)

      Delete
    2. Could be a grand day out!

      Delete
    3. Mind you, it is a good 120-mile round trip for a five minute job!

      Delete
  2. Or... take the door off the fridge and put a gate on instead - rabbit hutch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thought of that too :D wanted to give her a bit more space :p may end up doing that anyway....

      Delete