Wednesday 16 October 2013

You have your say... yes... you!

Today's blog is a semi-interactive one.

Which way to go....
Which way to go....
As regular readers will know I have been thinking rather a lot about the route I am going to take when I drive to Bulgaria next March. Originally I had three prospective routes and I have narrowed this down to two as the third one, through Italy and then a ferry across to Greece, was much longer than the other two and the cost of the ferry was just too much to be realistic.

I am now left with the final two options and I am struggling to pick between them. There are pros and cons (of course) for each route.

So, with the understanding between me and all of you that I reserve the right to make ALL my decisions myself and will, ultimately, do so AND that this is just an exercise in fun here is a breakdown of the options and, at the bottom, your chance to register your vote on a poll.

Via Romania

The Romanian route
The Romanian route

Pros:

  • This route stays entirely within the EU. As such I will not have any problems transporting my whisky, nor with Sassy.
  • A lot of people have done this and, with the new bridge open, it is a well traveled path which appears to be the most popular on the facebook community.

Cons:

  • The roads in Romania are a worry as are the number of mountains which we will need to drive up and down in Julian who is not the nippiest of vehicles.
  • This links to another concern which is we want to cross Romania in a single day if we do go this route so we will have to stop the day before at the border, no matter really how early we arrive and then just keep going until we get over the bridge into Bulgaria.
  • Snow?
  • There are some comments that the road down from the bridge is not the greatest either.

Via Serbia

The Serbian route
The Serbian route

Pros:

  • The road is supposed to be very good and quick and will not be affected by snow.
  • This route is slightly shorter (according to google maps)
  • Chaz has highly recommended and says that he has done this route multiple times every year without any trouble.

Cons:

  • Serbia is not part of the EU so there is not free movement of alcohol; 100 bottles of whisky WILL cause a problem and I will have to make alternative arrangements.
  • There could be issues at customs, particularly with a trailer. Several people have commented that they know people who have had to pay "fines" to get through.
So there you are.

What do you think? Which would you chose if you were planning on doing this trip starting March 10th and driving a pickup truck with a trailer, and Julian the camper van?

Vote here:

Which route should I take?
 
 
  
pollcode.com free polls 

The other news is that I have booked my parents on their return flight. Things are happening really regularly now just stepping onwards and upwards towards that leaving date now less than five months away.

I have also made my decision regarding my leaving party so that is booked as well. If you want information please message me using the form on the right and I will decide if I want you there or not :)

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And comment :)

      Oh god I hope I don't get people trying to do that on here! :D I'll fuck with them by re-ordering the comments :D

      Delete
  2. Via Romania. If I was just in a car I'd consider Serbia, BUT there are way too many things to go wrong. I drove Romania, with the setup you'll have and the realistic speeds you'll travel at it would be no great inconvenience, it's not mountainous as such that's for sure and with the new bridge would be relatively painless:)

    I travelled from Budapest to Russe in one day (was a damn long day) and that's a godawful route, the new bridge makes it cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romania, despite the obvious Roma connotations, can't simply be a land entirely populated by thieves and vagabonds. Do it. Pack a gun! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the Roma, it's the fact that villages are a mile apart, so you are kept to 30mph most of the time, then when you do get out of a village you accelerate only to slow down again for another village :) After driving all of Europe it was somewhat of a "shock" to the system :)

      Delete