Thursday 10 October 2013

Flying back... for the last time

So I am getting back into my habit of publishing my blogs first thing, as I am no longer doing interesting stuff day by day.

My plane didn't look like this one
My plane didn't look like this one
This one is the final little bit of the blog from yesterday as I ran out steam quite suddenly and couldn't be bothered to go into details about this part of the trip.

Not that it is very exciting really.

The most interesting thing about this is that this flight back was the last flight I will do before I am over there permanently. I will never have that horrible feeling of "oh god, I'm going back to England and leaving this behind, maybe for ever" again. What a great thing to realise.

I was standing on the bus (in Sofia they take you by bus from the departure lounge to the plane, about 100 yards away, for some strange reason) in the special area for Speedy Boarding customers (though this doesn't seem to have the cachet it once did and the area was positively packed with Common People *shudders* hah) and I recognised a chap I was standing next to from a previous flight. He also recognised me and opened the conversation with "I am just pleased that, other than one more return trip, this is nearly the last time I have to do this". I was exceptionally happy to reply that this was my last ever flight and the next time I would be driving over.

Some people!
Some people!
From over hearing conversations on the bus, and talking to this chap, it does seem that there is an increase in the incidence of people deciding to retire out there for good. Though one particularly annoying man who was complaining about everything had "an apartment here and I come over in September"; the sort of person who buys in an expat community and talks loudly about how rubbish "they" are at everything. If you don't like it, don't move to the country.

So the flight was OK, I fell asleep and woke with a sore neck, and read and chatted a little to the friendly guy (past the huge Bulgarian bloke sitting between us) and then suddenly we were landing and through security and on the train and away.

Mmmm a nice pint
Mmmm a nice pint
In the pub with my friends after it was observed that modern transport is so strange; it took me about 4 hours to get all the way from Sofia, but sometimes it can take that long to drive 20 miles on a motorway.

So there we are, I'm back and I won't have to put up with that flight again for a while.

That's it for today; I'm all typed out for now.

1 comment: