Thursday 7 November 2013

Architects / Change of Use... What now?

A lot of people have been asking me what I'm going to do now I have sacked Veselka; presumably, they're saying, I still need to have an architect and soon to get the progress I need so I can start off building as efficiently as possible when I arrive.

The thing is I have a number of options open to me and I am currently weighing these up and the fact of needing an architect is even under question.

1. Engage the other architect who I met when I met Veselka


If you are a regular reader of this blog, and have a good memory, you will remember that when I first met Veselka I arranged to meet another architect who was found via a contact from my friend (nepotism can get SO convoluted!). He wasn't around as much as Veselka and at the time I was pretty impressed with the answers Veselka gave compared to this guy (he's called Lubo). I had to make a decision and I went the way of Veselka.

Ahhh nepotism....
Ahhh nepotism....
What I put now will probably lead you to ask "why exactly did you make THAT stupid decision?" but at the time I had to fall one way or the other and I made the decision I made.

Lubo is local to the region I'm buying in, though the contact with him now lives up in Sofia and isn't around as much. He used to work for the Obshtina and so said he was ideally placed to get the approvals needed. He also, however, said a few things which made me think he may not have been as straight and honest as I would like.

I have contacted Lubo and he has said he's happy to help and will hopefully be getting back to me today having spoken to the Obshtina to get full facts about what they say the next steps are.

We shall see.

2. Find a different architecture firm


Another option I am currently working through is finding another architecture firm (mainly from Sofia) who may be able to help me. I was kindly recommended a couple of firms in the comments section of an earlier blog post and have contacted them and another friend has given me a further recommendation. I sent basically the same email to each company last week (even before I had sacked Veselka) and waited.

Can it be that hard...?
Can it be that hard...?
Every company has now replied which is impressive compared to the communication skills I have been used to so far from Veselka, with two of them agreeing that the price and timeline I am expecting is acceptable, and the third saying that they can't do it for the price I want. This is fair enough and at least they haven't taken it on at one price, and then tried to increase the price over time.

The issue with another remote company is the distance again may become an issue.

3. Use the chief architect at the Obshtina


Now THIS is what I should have done from day one, and I'm kicking myself slightly that I didn't go with my instincts however that is just how it goes.

hmmm.... good idea!
hmmm.... good idea!
The people who sold me the school have been helpful in the extreme and have spoken to the chief architect at the Obshtina and she has offered to start the process for change of use free of charge just to help out. I was not even aware that this lady was available commercially and thought she was only the contact inside the council that I would need to speak to while I was asking for the change of use.

The issue I have at the moment is I need the original Skitza and this has been requested by Veselka so I'm waiting for this to be forwarded to me before I can do anything. If I can get everything done by the department in the Obshtina who, ultimately, approve the process then that can only be a good idea.

4. Do what we can without Change of Use and wait for March


The final option (and this could combine well with the previous one) is for me to do what I can now (my friend can get the electrical survey done which is apparently all that EVN are waiting for before giving me my temporary electrical connection). If what I have been advised is correct and the Permission to Build may NOT be held up behind the PUP then I would be able to arrive in March and immediately start the process with the aim of having Permission to Build within a month or six weeks.

Oh yeah...
Oh yeah...
Whatever I do I will not be expecting to really start work immediately I arrive; first of all my parents are going to be there for the first week or so and I will want to spend some time showing them around etc and even when I do set my mind to it I will need to ensure my build team is ready and order materials for delivery and all that takes some time.

I could, therefore, on the first day I arrive kick the process off and then just be available to go into the Obshtina any day, while also giving the time to my parents that I want.

---------------------------

So, there are a few options open. I am waiting for contact from Lubo before making my final decision however the problem with the first two options is I gave Veselka my Power of Attorney but no one else and I would need to get that Power of Attorney to whoever is going to do the work. I could go the same route as I did when I bought the school and have the contract sent here, signed and stamped and couriered back so I don't have to get over to do this however that is more cost and more hassle.

The good thing about all this is that I have options and they all have their good points.

Onwards :)

1 comment: