Saturday 6 June 2015

A great day in the garden

Hello! Today was a lot more productive and the majority of it has been spent in the veggie garden. 

I have been a bit neglectful of the garden since everything was planted out - not through choice, but just because there is always so much to do and I never got back to it again. Whilst looking the other day I did notice how many weeds were sprouting up and I was conscious that they needed clearing to allow the onions and spuds the best chance to grow. I was up at a nice time today - 7.30am and I had some coffee and caught up on everything online before feeding Sassy and the chickens.

I got straight in there once I was sorted out as there was another storm forecast for the afternoon. I dragged the wheel barrow in and plucked away. They look so much happier now they can breathe!

They can breathe!
They can breathe!
The bed where I had planted broad beans and peas was horrendously overgrown with grass mostly, so I set to clearing that too. As I got past the bean section, to which the plants were very obvious, I realised that I had no clue what a pea plant looked like. I had left two different lots of plants before going upstairs to google it. As it turns out, the peas must not have sprouted at all, unfortunately. But the bed was clear and I was feeling great.

Beans
Beans
 Between the bean bed and the onions and potatoes there had been a LOT of weeds, so of I went with a barking Rambo (at the wheel barrow) to empty it.

First load
First load
I arrived back to find our neighbour stood tooled up at the gate with a pick axe! Now, as a woman living alone in a country you don't speak the language in, I could have got scared! Haha. Bless her. She had come over to tell me to dig out a bed and that she would bring me some tomato and pepper plants! Well, the peppers here are fabulous and the Mr eats tomatoes like they are going out of fashion, so I agreed gratefully! She left me her pick axe and I had a go. This is hard work. People here really do work hard and it would put half of the UK to shame!

I will admit to taking a lunch and nap break before finishing it, but it was an easier job with the pick axe than I would have made of it with a spade to be honest. Here it is, ready for the implants!

New bed
New bed
After I had a bit of a rest, fed the chickens and played a bit with Rambo I heard my name being called across the lane. Oygul was there, watering can in her hand and Sanie was wielding a buch of plants! It was time. She set straight to work and Rambo was being very obedient by staying on the porch. He's such a good boy, most of the time! She set to work on the pepper plants and in no time at all, they were in.

Sharing peppers
Sharing peppers
She had a wooden spike that she dug into the soil, leaving a hole and dropping the plant into it. Very efficient. I suspect I will have to watch and learn from this lady to become as efficient. They make it look so easy!

Tomato anyone?
Tomato anyone?
 I think we are going to have a lot of peppers.

More peppers
More peppers
 And the last got planted into the spare raised bed box. We are fully peppered!

Even MORE peppers
Even MORE peppers
They are such a kind family. We are very lucky to have them next door. After visiting the chickens and showing me the grain she uses for hers, also leaving me with a pan full of it, Sanie and her family left with as much thanks as I could manage. It really touches me how kind they are.

I sat on the porch with Rambo for a while to unwind a little and was thinking of what I may do tomorrow. I realise now that the men will probably not be coming back to clear all the debris from the drainage, so tomorrow, I will have a go at clearing the patio a bit. It has been bugging me for weeks and now I have the opportunity to do something with it all.

Tomorrow's task
Tomorrow's task
Whilst sitting with Rambo the swallows were irritating him and while he was off chasing them I spotted a lizard run like the hammers from under the car to the pile of broken slabs on the patio. After a while and Rambo having calmed, the lizard made a dash for it from the broken pile of slabs to the bricks and roof tiles stacked up beside the table tennis table. It was almost it's last trip; Rambo was up and on it so fast that I barely had time to blink. I have never seen him move so fast - hahaha. Bless him. The lizard escaped, only just and I did spend a good 15 minutes laughing at Rambo trying to move bricks to find it and then look at me as if to say "well, help me then!". So funny.

It has been a great day.

It will be around two weeks before the arrival of the Mr and Thelma & Louise. Cannot wait!

Leka nosht.

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment