Friday 12 June 2015

Quiet contemplation

Good evening and welcome back. It has been a strange day and one I should have more often. There are no photos, so you will just have to read my thoughts instead. There has been a lot of thinking going on.

I woke early and got myself up to meet the thickest blanket of fog I have seen in a long time. The storms had blown in and out all night, so it was a restless one. I did wake reasonably refreshed though and I set to making my caffeine boost and said good morning to Rambo, who incidentally struggled to get up - probably due to his lack of sleep as he had dragged his bed outside and slept on the outer porch!

When I went back upstairs I went online and after about five or ten minutes, my web pages were freezing and the connection was again jumping in and out. I restarted the computer and again, no connection to be found. Only local access at least. Most annoying. So I was showered and changed, chickens fed and sat outside the internet provider's shop at 8.30. The engineers were there who had been here previously, so they said they would be up after their first call. Sure enough, around 10am they arrived, asking for Rambo to be restrained whilst they came in. Within ten minutes, we were up and running again. Joy! Of course, I barely used it all day after that. It's just nice to know it is there if I want it.

I pottered around most of the morning as it warmed up and fed the chickens and went off to the veggie garden to keep on top of the weeds. I have never been a gardener. In fact, any plant I have ever looked after has died. This makes me standing amongst all of our veggies even more special to me and I am very proud that not everything has died. It really did not take long to do the actual weeding, but sitting in there relaxed me, so I stayed a while longer than needed. Rambo is not allowed in the veggie section and sat perfectly calm at the gate whilst I was in there. He has really started to become much more relaxed. I suspect this will change with the arrival of the puppies!

I really didn't do much over the lunchtime period as it was too hot. I took a nap and then measured up for the pipework required to fit the storage tanks in the attic. I lost an hour or two in between, pottering around and sweeping, tidying and chatting to the Mr. Still no date of return though, but I hope it is soon.

This evening I have done all of the feeding times, except my own so far. Kit and Kat are slowly becoming less afraid of me and their surroundings, although I have spotted that Kat is at the top of the pecking order and quite the mischievous one. I realise they eat off the floor, but I have tried to minimise the chance of rats in their house at night by putting their food in a bowl. Kat insists on scratching out the bowl and Kit in turn eats it, So there is no problem, you'd think? No, except Kit cannot eat as fast as Kat scratches. They are fascinating to watch and I could spend hours with them. Anyway, there is mess. I am definitely moving them outside tomorrow so that I can sweep up and try to keep some order. They still don't seem to venture outside much. Only we could inherit hermit chickens!

Rambo's feeding time was interesting also. The swallows have really got it in for him and are dive bombing as low as to within a couple of feet of him. It actually got so bad that I had to swipe at a couple with the broom. I very nearly got one too! I am a bit unsure about taking a nest down yet. They have chicks in there and even I am not that mean, but they really do have it in for Rambo, so I may have no option.

I have spent the last couple of hours in the last rays of sunshine on the balcony. I have sat quietly with only my thoughts and it has been lovely. I have been feeling a little melancholy today - perhaps the unknown return of the Mr and missing him terribly, I'm not sure. I talked to myself a lot today too. Sometimes I wonder where I would have been now if I had this opportunity not come along and it makes me shudder. The noise, the people, the hustle and bustle. I am really thankful for my life here now and I just whiled away a couple of hours contemplating that. I should do it more. You certainly do get a lot of time to think here - probably less so with a Beard and two puppies running around - but it is good. Calming.

I was watching the neighbours on and off from the balcony earlier and they are such happy people. I have no idea how old they are, but I would guess at the very least they will be in their late 50s. There they were out turning their hay, laughing and bantering and smiling as they usually do. It's very clear that this is The Good Life.

Leka nosht.

A x






No comments:

Post a Comment