Tuesday 16 June 2015

The final week

Finally it is my final week in the UK and tomorrow is my final day! FINALLY!

Watching paint dry
Watching paint dry
So just a quick overview of the last week as my excitement builds for the awesome day that tomorrow will be. As you will remember Thelma and Louise had done a little bit of damage in the kitchen in the time when they were left there during the day; the linoleum was not something I would be able to fix sadly so I have left it to the landlady to get it replaced out of the deposit money, but the walls where the rubbish wallpaper had been torn were easy. I bought a tester of Magnolia Kitchen paint and was able to cover over everything with some to spare. By the next morning it was dried and matched perfectly. As well as doing this small amount of painting I also spent time cleaning, hoovering, scrubbing carpets and getting the kitchen clean including the cooker and work surfaces. I'm really not cut out to be a cleaning person but by the time I left I was relatively happy with the result.

Brave explorer heading off into the unknown
Brave explorer heading off into the unknown
This was my final week in the office as well, obviously, and while it was very busy with pressure to get things done before I changed to remote working we also had a lot of fun. One of the guys, Ade, was joking about me being an explorer and ended up buying me a pith helmet for the journey. I wore this off and on over the last two days to much hilarity and it is now packed to come with me. Suffice to say I am not going to wear it while driving; it won't actually fit on my head in the car, but it will go with me now on my travels as a reminded of some really good times in the office.

Gorgeous evening sky on the walk home from the pub
Gorgeous evening sky on the walk home from the pub
My plan was to do a half day on Thursday so as to be able to spend the afternoon doing the final cleaning but I got a head start by spending three or four hours on Wednesday night putting the last bits in the trailer including the sofa and almost everything else that would be taken. This mean that the only thing left to be put in on Thursday was the girls' hutch. Just as I was finishing up the neighbour who I have spoken with most came past on his way home from the pub which was a shame but we had a brief chat and I agreed to send a postcard. Ten minutes later I was on my way round the corner with the girls where I spent a really enjoyable hour or so sipping a few beers (much needed from my efforts loading) and chatting to the locals. The girls get so much attention. On the walk on the way home the sky was stunning so I snapped a few pictures of it. Then I was almost straight to bed and to sleep, exhausted.

Eating lunch in the sun in the beer garden
Eating lunch in the sun in the beer garden
Thursday arrived and I ended up only being in the office for a very short time as finally A's new phone was scheduled to be delivered and I didn't want to miss it. It arrived at the scheduled time which was good as I was able to get it charged up and then put the time lapse software on it for the journey, but more of that in my next update. Lunch time was a last minute decision by the people in my office to go to the pub for lunch so I walked round, again with the girls, and met them there. It was really nice as we were able to sit outside and the chef, who had been quite sad that Thelma and Louise were leaving, got ANOTHER chance to say goodbye.

The train is ready to leave the station
The train is ready to leave the station
After lunch Loz walked back with me to the house to give me the final bit of help. I had already taken the hutch down in the morning and so we shoved it in, not very efficiently in the end, after packing the freezer in and then he helped as I reversed to hitch the trailer to Thomas. This actually went very well and it only took a few manouvres and it was all safe and securely attached. I waved Loz off with a man hug and then did the last little bits of rushing around and throwing things in the car so I could leave to get to John's where I was staying for the remainder of my time in the UK.

The drive over was pretty easy however I did see that I would need some more straps on the outside of the tarpaulin as it was flapping a bit on the motorway. It towed fine though which is the main thing and I found that my top speed won't be much more than 50mph just to be on the safe side. When I got to John's I was happy to find that the keys I had did open his front door and therefore was able to gain access to his gated carpark. I then got straight on with reorganising the trailer again which involved stripping the tarpaulin right back, putting the hutch bits in a more sensible location, and then shifting the straps so I had more for the outside however I still was short so I knew I'd be shopping for straps again shortly. I finished this in very short order and settled down in the house to work for the last bit of the day.

A very good ribeye steak
A very good ribeye steak
That evening I went into town to meet up with Jamie which was nice as I haven't seen her at all since I got back. It was a good evening with lots of catching up, over fantastic steaks, and I'm glad that I got to see her before going back for good. I returned to the flat to find that Magda had been spoiling the girls as per usual and they were very happy indeed.

Waiting for the UPS man in the car
Waiting for the UPS man in the car
I had planned on going out for lunch on Friday with Lee and Ryan but for various reasons this got postponed which meant I was able to get back over to the house earlier than planned. I had told the Landlady that I would be there at 8 meaning 8pm but when I got there at about 10.30 I found that the locks had been changed! This was not part of the plan as I had left a few bits and pieces the day before which hadn't fit in, most importantly the cherry tree which was finally showing signs of life, and I was not able to access them. After texting to ask just exactly what she thought she was doing I knocked on the neighbour who shares the side gate and was let into the garden so I could get the tree.

As I was loading it the Landlady turned up with her husband and the whole situation degenerated into a shouting match in the street which was really unpleasant and quite stupid when you consider it has all been prompted by a 6" tear in some cheap old linoleum. Anyway to cut a long story short (for once) it got resolved eventually though the husband was raging and quite irrational for large amounts of the time and best of all the UPS guy arrived dead on time with the delivery (the main reason I had gone over) and because I had already seen them I no longer had to wait around so it was back on the road to go back to John's flat and a cup of tea which was much needed.

Frying up for Saturday breakfast
Frying up for Saturday breakfast
At this time I still was not sure of when I would be actually returning as my invite to visit the baby had not yet arrived but I spoke to CJC on Saturday morning and we agreed that I would go past about 5pm or so on Wednesday. Immediately I was on the website booking my ferry and I have a flexible ticket based around a planned early Thursday morning departure. How exciting! Finally I know when I'm going home. In celebration I made a lovely fried breakfast for me and John (Magda is a vegie so had her own) which kicked Saturday into gear satisfactorily.

Magda about to spoil the puppies
Magda about to spoil the puppies
The girls have loved being in this flat, though they haven't been able to have the exercise they were getting as the yard isn't as good as the old garden. Magda has been spoiling them rotten as expected with toys and treats and lots of fussing and this is good; they have really taken to her and even sometimes chose to fall asleep on her lap rather than mine. I can't wait for A to meet them and start to get to know them. They are so awesome.

Louise keeping hold of the hand grenade
Louise keeping hold of the hand grenade
Sunday morning John cooked breakfast which was lovely and then it was a relaxed day as he prepared Sunday roast for when my parents were coming past later in the day. We spent time watching films and relaxing, mainly, and there isn't much to say other than this amusing picture of the girls playing with the hand grenade toy for the last time. Louise carries it with her snout right inside the hollow and gets a really good grip that way. Thelma holds the whole thing in her gob as she is slightly larger. Sadly it really did start falling to pieces and when they started leaving bits of rubber and string everywhere it was tided up and removed.

Beautiful Roast Lamb Dinner
Beautiful Roast Lamb Dinner
My parents arrived slightly later than planned but still in time for dinner and what a lovely meal it was. The lamb was cooked to perfection and the veg was all gorgeous too. It was really brilliant to get to have this time with my parents as well before the "big off" and I think they appreciated the opportunity as well. After we finished it was not long before they had to get on the road as they were only taking a brief break while on their way home after a week in Scotland.


Before they left we gave the bone to the girls and boy did they enjoy that. It took about half an hour only for them to completely strip the bones and crack them a bit for the marrow. This is the first time they've had a bone and I hope it won't be the last; I'm going to have to make sure we get them bones and things like that as much as possible in Bulgaria.

Sun lounger
Sun lounger
I was working on and off all weekend to make up the missed half days on Thursday and Friday and I had some really good progress in the end, though often the girls wanted to sleep on my lap (as they are right now actually) which does make operating the laptop quite a challenge. Thelma in particular likes to put her head on the touch pad and move the mouse and click things. Louise just likes to be in the sun and was very happy to find a patch underneath a chair and completely collapsed into it.

Proper man sustenance
Proper man sustenance
And so we get to yesterday and the postponed Last Supper with Lee and Ryan. I met them in a wine bar and had a glass of red which is unlike me but it was actually quite nice. There then followed a long walk as we went round the houses to get to the destination of our choice, Red's BBQ. Ryan chose the first drinks which was a lovely cocktail with chocolate icecream and maple syrup and whiskey and bacon. The most awesome thing, however, was the steak which I shared with Ryan. It was cooked to perfection and while it looks huge it was actually just the perfect amount.


It's not just the girls who can do this
It's not just the girls who can do this
Of course at the end I had to pick up the bone and gnaw on it like a caveman and under the pretense of taking a picture Lee got this video which I think might just be the favourite video of me I've ever seen. It was lovely and the meat I chewed from the end was so tasty it was worth the effort. Sadly I forgot to ask to take the bone back for the girls which was a real shame as when this was suggested to me (thanks A) I could immediately see just how much they would have loved it.

Fighting over who gets to kill the rat
Fighting over who gets to kill the rat
After another couple of bars and a few beers, but not that many, it was back home for all of us and I hope that they can come visit The Old School soon. When I got back to the flat I found that there had been more spoiling going on and Magda had bought the girls a toy rat to destroy. And destroy it they have. Just now Thelma has torn both the ears off but in the first hours of having it the eyes and tail were removed. They love it though and fight over who gets to kill it again and again.

Final ever rice 'n' three
Final ever rice 'n' three
Today has been a normal working day for me other than lunchtime where I went into town to meet up with ex colleagues from another job for rice 'n' three. We went to my old favourite haunt but my favourite dish was not on the menu any more which was a real shame. It was still a really lovely time made even better after my first couple of friends left and I was joined by a late arrival who I don't get to see that much. MC is a top lad and we chatted and walked back to the car together and promised that we would stay in touch and that he would come and visit. After this I went past B and Q to get the ratchet straps I need and then it was back to work after a bit of a doze because of the curry.

And so it is Tuesday evening and tomorrow afternoon I'm off to see my namesake and best friend and his mrs and then it's the drive down the M1 to the ferry and I'm finally on my way! What a buzz, what a feeling, I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment