Sunday 14 June 2015

New arrivals

I am trying very hard to remember this morning....

I woke up extremely warm as I recall. It has been very humid and a bit uncomfortable over night but the jug of mojito yesterday seemed to help me sleep (cough). I got up a little later, as I recall and I took my time over a coffee before I went down to say good morning to Rambo who was content as ever and asleep on the porch when I did. We spent a little time throwing what is left of a ball that I found - it was a spongy type ball and there is probably about a quarter of it left now and I finished off my second coffee. It has been another scorcher today and already at 8am it was well into the mid-twenties. I quickly watered the roots of the vegetables and locked Rambo away so that I could feed the chickens in peace. 

I have seen a very slow but definite improvement in their behaviour and they seem to be becoming more used to me and allow me to move closer to them and around them without getting in a flap (I know). They happily went outside this morning which is unusual as I normally have to chase them out and I set their bowl of food down for them to immediately start pecking away. Happy chickens.

I had a quick shower and threw a load of washing in and I was intent on doing some tidying around the garden, but the heat already at that time was stifling and I decided today should really be a day of rest and not exerting myself. I'm getting much better at those days. I was having breakfast when I heard my name called from the gate. It was Sanie's other son, whose name I do not know yet and will have to ask for, as well as the granddaughter, with his nephew, Gurkhan - I think, so I popped down to see what was going on. They won't come in with Rambo roaming around unattended. It is that time of year here and the tortoises have hatched (or whatever they do) and I had two new pets handed to me - haha.  Meet Mercury (the golden one) and Hermes (the one with smaller markings). 

Mercury and Hermes
Mercury and Hermes
I had no idea what to do with these critters as last year, the Mr dealt with the new arrivals. The only place I could think of putting them so they would have some cover, water and no chance of escaping, was in the raised bed with the corn. The corn is really sturdy and established with really thick stalks and leaves. Hopefully they won't do too much damage, as look! Cobs!

We have cobs!
Very soon after I rehomed the tortoises, Sanie arrived over at the gate shouting for me. She had been asking me (I think) if I wanted some plants for this vegetable (a marrow of sorts, maybe) and I told her that maybe the Mr likes them but I didn't think I liked them. I was wrong. It was delicious!

Brunch
Brunch
I realised after eating that the tortoises had no water supply in their enclosure and so found a tupperware dish and filled it with water. I don't think tortoises are as good at swimming as turtles, but Hermes made a good attempt! I filled it with sand and stones after I saved him from a watery death and so they have both been in, walked around and climbed out of their own accord. Job done.

Too much water
Too much water
Rambo was struggling with the heat as much as I was and I think he felt the same way. He wanted to do something but really couldn't get going. He was puffing, panting and collapsing as much as I was today. It was too nice to be inside, but too hot to be outside. The thermometer read 29 inside today. I suspect is was close to 35 outside in the sun. There was no breeze.

Mum, I'm hot
Mum, I'm hot
 Part of what I wanted to achieve here whilst I was on my own was to integrate with the locals. The Mr already has a relationship with them as he was here last year alone also for some months and so I have been trying to make a real effort to "fit in", shall we say. They make it very easy for me. I took a walk over at around lunch time to take back the bowls that I have been given food in over the last few days and the ladies were all inside preparing lunch for the men who were working hard at scything and stacking hay. My hat goes off to them to work so hard in this heat. I had a lovely time watching them work. They had been so busy already, having made some sweet bread and I have always wanted to see how they make it. Perhaps I can persuade Sanie to give me a few lessons sometime. The food she brings us is absolutely lovely.

Bulgarian baking
Bulgarian baking
I had a nap this afternoon after I had emptied (at last) one of my cases from last year that I had packed my summer clothes into. I really need to do more inside and sort this sort of stuff out, but afterwards I heard Sanie shouting for me at the gate. She was trying to explain that she wanted something and was making a cutting motion with her hands. I was not quite on the same wavelength and thought Orhan had sent her to get garden shears. He had in fact sent her for the strimmer! I brought it down and all the while I was able to get Rambo to sit, stay and not go near Sanie without being anywhere near him. Thank goodness. He can be very obedient when he needs to be and I think he is getting to realise that he is not allowed to run up to them when they come in. I dropped the strimmer to the top of the field and got a thumbs up from Orhan who was at the top of a haystack while his Dad and brother were yanking on a rope to straighten it up - haha. Brilliant. Gutted I did not have the camera. I took a stroll in and grabbed Gurkhan and threw him onto my shoulders, horsing around and pretending to throw him into the stacks of hay. He is a lovely child, they both are.

Back at home, I was conscious that the evening was drawing in and so I came back to do my chores. I fed the chickens and started to do my watering round when Aygul (not Oygul as I have previously spelled it) turned up along the lane. I called her in and again, Rambo sat very nicely near the porch just watching. She came in with Gurkhan and I showed off my corn (Sorry, I am so proud it hasn't died - haha) and also brought her to see the chickens. She picked Kit and Kat out in the market when we went to get them and she says that they are looking well. They should be with the amount of food they are eating! We also took a walk around inside and she saw how the place was at least getting cleaned up, even if no more work has been done. Then to the terrace to my masterpiece of a swinging chair. Gurkhan was most impressed and had a few swings on it.

They left when the brothers arrived back with the strimmer, re-stringed and ready to rock and roll! They are so good to me, bless them.

I finished my waternig round under strict instructions not to water the onions or potatoes. I am quite pleased that we have so much going on here with veggies. I had not planned on having as much this year on my own. But the gardener will be back in less than a fortnight to help, so it is all good!

To the left bed are peppers and broad beans, in the middle are potatoes and onions, to the right are lots of tomatoes and to the bottom are carrots, leeks, parsnips, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and more peppers. Along with the corn and even more peppers, we should have quite a crop - and of course the mint for mojitos and lettuce on the balcony.

Watered
Watered 
So it was a little bit of a rush tonight with all the visits and showing around but I have had a wonderful day and feel pretty pleased with myself. The sunset has been less than perfect, but I watched a while nonetheless.  Still showing 27 degrees inside on the thermometer and it has just gone 10pm. 

Sunset
Sunset
As I have work in the morning, I bid you a leka nosht.

A xx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. It's smashing reading this nd imagining this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It really is an experience every single day.

    ReplyDelete