Friday 19 June 2015

Last day alone

Today started late. I had a nice lie in until around 8.30 and I had a slow start, but eventually I got myself going after a few coffees. The neighbour's sons had kindly re-stringed the strimmer for me a few days ago and I had the idea that perhaps I could tidy up the entrance drive a little bit so that when he gets here he will be able to see his beloved silver birches and it will make his entrance a little bit nicer. I am a great girlfriend, huh?

Cleared for entry
Cleared for entry
I also decided that whilst I had it out, I would  strim around the path to the side gate and a little bit around the raised bed area so that I can actually get in and check the new tortoises.

Room to move
Room to move
Sadly, the string had disintegrated by this stage and although it says "push down to release", it would not release any more and I gave up. But I am happy with what I cleared today and it was starting to warm up anyway. I had actually forgotten about the sheets that I had thrown into the washing machine and I was quite late in getting them hung out as it was about lunch time. The fitted sheet in the middle was cream. Now powder blue. Never mind.

Clean sheets
Clean sheets
Sanie arrived over and came to have a look at the tea tree to see if it was flowering yet. She also brought post and four eggs, bless her. I think she was saying about coming to collect the flowers from the tree tomorrow, but I am not quite sure - I just agreed anyway. There are a lot that have not flowered yet, so maybe it's better for her to do it in stages.

Every time I have looked out of the window into the garden and seen the cooker sitting there it has annoyed me and finally today, after months of putting it off, I shifted it. I think it was a subconscious fear of perhaps there being another rat in there and not wanting to chance it. It has now moved. Away from the School.

Dumped
Dumped
On my way back, Kit & Kat were at the door of the house and when I called them, they hopped down and started pecking and scratching around. It's so nice to see them starting to finally settle in.

Outside!
Outside!
I have rested and had some time on the terrace this afternoon and then I suddenly remembered that I had saved some empty beer bottles to try something out to capture the nasty mosquitoes that keep leaving me with nasty lumps all over me. Sugar water with yeast in a halved bottle and sealed. I only made one, but if it seems to be successful overnight I will look to make some more.

Mosquito trap
Mosquito trap
As always, I was admiring my corn. This is the biggest and most successful thing I have grown in my life. Look at all the cobs and this is just one plant!

CORN!
CORN!
I had to move the sunflowers, which are also going very well, out of the wind and ever since they have been coming on in leaps and bounds. This also shows how tall the corn actually is. Close to about seven foot I reckon.

Growing tall
Growing tall
Whilst I was nosing around down there and checking the tortoises, I spotted some random mushrooms.  The shelter from the corn and the watering must be encouraging them to grow. I wonder if they are edible?

Wild mushrooms
Wild mushrooms
This evening drew in and I have been swapping messages with the Mr, who is currently in Romania trying to get some sleep. He has really pushed so far to get home and has had very little sleep at all so far. He is aiming for a lunchtime arrival tomorrow and he has done exceptionally well as I wasn't actually expecting him until Monday at the earliest.

It sounds bad, it really isn't meant to, but I took myself up to the roof terrace to watch one last sunset on my own, with my beer and my dinner and to soak up the whole experience. I guess when you have company it is different and I wanted to make my last night here on my own about alone time. Here is the gradual descent of the sun over the Greek mountains.

It started here
It started here
Middled here
Middled here
And ended here
And ended here
Tomorrow, I will have to be up early to do the last bit of preparation for the arrival of the Mr and the pups! I suspect they will be here sooner than midday as I know him and he will not sleep until midnight as planned, he will crack on earlier and probably arrive early doors. It will be fantastic to have them all here. I cannot wait!

Leka nosht.

A xx


No comments:

Post a Comment