Saturday 25 April 2015

An easy day

Although the title of this post says that it was an easy one, it sure doesn't feel like it. I am feeling very tired due to being outside in the fresh air for most of the day. So let me tell you about it....

I woke at my usual time and nipped to the bathroom pondering whether to stay up or not. I decided to get another couple of hours in bed and what a good choice that was. I woke again around 8.30 and felt well rested, if not a little achy from yesterday's workout with the bottles. I started slowly and pottered around tidying up a bit and supping a couple of coffees, feeding the two animals and got myself dressed. It was around 10am and I thought I had better make a move to do something, so I grabbed Rambo's lead and thought it would be a great start to the day for us both to stretch our legs.

We got out of the village without any drama and started up the hill. Rambo was in a hurry and I clearly wasn't going fast enough. He turned and actually grunted at me - haha!

Too slow
Too slow
The last time we came up this way I thought I had seen this, but there was snow on the top. I presume it to be a beaver's dam.

Dam
Dam
It is a lovely walk to take and the sun was doing its best to break through the clouds at this stage. Down in the valley there were still signs of the harsh winter with fallen trees and the high winds.

Fallen
Fallen
Rambo has to remain on his lead sadly as there is a lot of livestock roaming around, mostly tended by sheep dogs and/or lady shepherds. When I saw there were sheep and that they were slowly making their way up the hill I stopped and made Rambo sit and waited. It's more a courtesy so as not to frighten them or worry them as they have lots of lambs at the moment.

Stopped
Stopped
As we walked you could definitely tell that summer was not far away. The sun came out and I noticed a lot of the trees were starting to bloom. It was rather pleasant.

Blossoming
Blossoming
Up the mountain is a wood that we pass through to get to the lake. Again, signs of winter damage were very apparent, but a lot of the fallen trees have been cut up. I would be very reluctant to burn this pine as there is a lot of sap apparently and it is supposed to clog up the flue pipes. How and ever, I guess when you are getting it for free you just take it.

Cut off
Cut off
As we approached the reed pond there was a shepherd with his flock of sheep and a dog just at the other side. Rambo was so excited that not only had he pulled me up the hill but he sat whining when I made him sit and wait until they had moved on. This was not hastened by the shepherd coming for a quick chat and telling me that his son (I think) was in the UK working, which is often the case with sons and daughters around these parts. Eventually, the sheep, lambs and the dog who was there to protect them moved on up the hill. Finally Rambo could swim and boy, did he enjoy it!

Diving in
Diving in
Got it!
Got it!
He thoroughly enjoys the water and it is surprisingly satisfying to watch him jump in and out, avoiding the dreaded shake each time! He is also a dog who likes sticks, Not only sticks, but tree sized branches! I had to take this one off him because it was full of nails. He was most annoyed with me!

Small stick
Small stick
He eventually got me with a shake and then it was about time to move on again.

This one got me
This one got me
Ready
Ready
Normally I would head back home but I was quite enjoying the walk, so I took a few nature shots and had the intention of heading to the other lake as long as there were not cattle or sheep around.

Budding
Budding
Pine cone
Pine cone 
Noisy Lake
Noisy Lake
We arrived at the top of the field to the lake and I thought I could hear a lot of birds. I suddenly thought of storks but couldn't see any around. As we walked closer the sound was getting louder and louder so I got my camera ready in case I was able to capture them from a distance. This will hopefully make you laugh. I could see no birds. None. Nada. I even got my zoom out when I reached the edge of the lake to see what I could find in the trees. Nothing. I stood and listened; I could swear almost that there was a human around saying "stay back, stay back, stay back,". I was totally freaked out. Even Rambo just sat down beside me and didn't even attempt to get in the water. I scanned the area over and over again wondering if it was someone playing a trick. As I am deaf in one ear, it is difficult for me to tell a specific area of where a noise comes from but I was certain is was coming from the clearing. Odd! We both stood and listened a little longer, looking and surveying the area. There was no point trying to work it out any longer, this country is full of weird and wonderful creatures that I have never heard before. I took Rambo towards the clearer water at the other side of the lake and suddenly I saw hundreds of frogs jump into the lake! It was them making all that noise and telling us to stay back! Well, I laughed so hard, both in relief and in finding it hilarious.

Rambo just jumped in.

Up to his neck
Up to his neck
He also got me on the way out.  He is starting to really tone up and lose that winter fat. Looking good again, Rambo.
Toned!
Toned!
We started off for home soon after and I spotted this tree. It really amazes me that a tree that looks so strong and established can have been so badly damaged by the snow we have had here over winter. I hope this was a rare fall like they have said. Such a shame.

Old oak
Old oak
Making our way back down to the village you can get a great view. You can see the school's new roof here and the terrace, just left of centre. Beautiful backdrop also.

Almost home
Almost home
As we arrived back into the village there seemed to be a hive of activity going on. Firstly at the village mayor's house and also at his next door neighbour. I spoke for a short while with the mayor (kmet) and moved along. Parked up by his neighbours house was the horse in a trap and the foal alongside. Rambo hates the horses and always barks at them from the bottom of the garden so I was nervous of going past. The old farmer who lives beside us assured me it was ok, but he didn't realise I was worried about Rambo and not the horses! He surprised me. I had him by his collar and he didn't pull or even look at them; what a relief!

I had been out walking for two hours. It was absolutely lovely to get out and enjoy the air and he loves getting off the land to have a good old sniff. I wish I had more time to take him out.

Back home and I spotted a message from S&S on Facebook asking me to go for a kebab. Sent 40 minutes previous I had 20 minutes together my stuff and head into town,. I was starving as it was 12.30 and so I text them and legged it after getting changed.  They had their intern with them who had arrived the day before and we were soon inside ordering kebabs after initial introductions. Her English is very good and so I hope she followed the conversation as much as I think she did. We just caught up, found out about poor Simon's accident with the tree, enduring a broken nose and ten stitches! We took our time and had a good natter with the promise of S coming up to the school at some point to help me move the bottle trailer back out of the way and also showing the intern around.

I was supposed to go shopping afterwards but when I was finished getting petrol and topping up the air in Lucy's tyre, I really didn't want to wast the rest of the afternoon in a shop, so I headed home. When I got back I started watering everything and decided I would dig another bed out in the veggie garden. I still have swede to plant and I will also need to replant various other things once they have grown big enough.

The sweetcorn for example, has babies!

Sweetcorn
Sweetcorn
And the sunflowers have started to really come along.

Sunflower
Sunflower
When I came back in to get a drink I noticed that Sassy has been doing up her bathroom!

New bathroom
New bathroom
I went out and started to dig and dig and dig. It was hot again with a warm wind blowing from the west. Rambo was playing Kong and I was throwing between digs. It was a perfect balance of work and play. I gave up less than halfway through the bed though as I was aching and still sore from yesterday. This is a long bed and will take a couple more attempts I think.

Starting it off
Starting it off
I did notice a bloom that I have never seen before. It looks like a flower of sorts but it is growing from a tree that looked to be dead a week ago. Can anyone identify it?

Unknown
Unknown
Looking around further and I was delighted to actually notice that the tea trees that were so badly damaged have really started to look healthy again. This is a great sign.

Fighting back
Fighting back
I promised the Mr that I would show him how well the silver birch trees were doing and so Rambo and I headed down to the front. Along the way I saw another patch of daisies, but with this little fella on one.

Wassup!
Wassup!
One of them was snapped in two after the snow and so I have tried to patch him up by attaching the trunk back on and tying it up to try to repair it. Here you can see that it is still fighting with a small and slower leaf growth up top. I hope it makes it!

Determined
Determined
The rest are looking very healthy indeed and have had their support poles removed.

Healthy
Healthy
So, even though I was supposed to have a busy day clearing out the garage, I have actually been out and busy, ish. Apart from lunch, that was pure indulgence in the best kebab EVER.

Tomorrow I will attempt the garage. There are a few areas of the house that I refuse to tidy until the Mr gets back. One is the wood room by the bottle room and garage, another is the old relic store where he has stored some papers and bits and bobs from the school and another is under the stairs. All of these areas I deem rat havens, so that is why. Plus, they are not very inviting and something might jump out on me! Look.

Under the stairs
Under the stairs
Not only am I exhausted from today, but I am exhausted writing this. I apologise for the 28 photos, but I took 140, so count yourselves lucky!

It is time for me to chill now and enjoy the last hour of my day before I have to collapse. I hope you haven't been too bored,.

Leka nosht.

A x

2 comments:

  1. My guess is that the mystery blooms are wisteria.

    from CountryGirl (near Plovdiv)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Lilac tree. They come in various colours, from white to pink to very deep mauve. Cut some blooms and enjoy the heavenly scent indoors. Flowers on last year's growth, so if pruning ever, do it immediately after blooms die.

    ReplyDelete