Wednesday 15 April 2015

Summer has arrived

8.10pm and I have not eaten or typed a word. That's how it goes here, you never get a minute to yourself.

Usual routine this morning and after a rather odd night's sleep (thinking I could hear a rat for about two hours and then dreaming about them) I was up before the alarm went off at 6.30am. Rambo out, coffee, another coffee and then off for the men.

They get stuck straight in as soon as they arrive and after about half an hour of banging and drilling I went down to have a look. A plug hole!

Holes in the walls
Holes in the walls
I collected Nikolai at the bottom of the hill on my way back from getting the men and so he had also cracked on a little further after settling in.

Front trench
Front trench
My first job was to get back to Kaufland and pick up the stuff I had forgotten from my list and I was just back in time, having stopped off for petrol also, to make the men their coffee at 10.30. I made myself one also and headed out into the garden a short time after. I really wasn't quite sure what to do first. I had told myself that I would like to get some more beds dug out in the vegetable garden but also dig out the raised beds and get some stuff in there and germinating. I made a start on the bed in the garden that housed the beetroot and turnips last year, mainly because it is the smallest and I was a little sore from the previous digging out.

Made a start
Made a start
I gave up halfway through as the boys were using the wheelbarrow and I already had a big pile of weeds that I had sickled away from the edges and also the ones dug out. I will finished this off at the weekend - now that it is started it will nag me to get it finished - I know myself well.

And so to the raised bed. Last year we collected horse manure, Sassy poo and also some compost from the little ladies pile and threw it all in. It didn't look as bad as I had thought it would with most grass growing presumably from the horse manure.

Raised bed
Raised bed
I weeded this out and mixed it through with a lot of effort and watered it a bit. I had promised Rambo a walk and so I wanted to do that in plenty of time for the men leaving so that it wasn't rush. I quickly went inside and got more progress shots as it was now their lunchtime and it's best I am not getting in the way to take my photos. So the walls are now very pink, but also channelled!

Channels in
Channels in
Being me, I got side tracked and again, not wanting to get in their way, I dragged the mat out of Room 13 and proceeded to try and shake it over the side of the balcony. This is a two person job as I could just about hold it, never mind shake it! I gave it a beat with the broom over the edge and settled for brushing it off. It just gets so dusty here.

Mat shook and brushed
Mat shook and brushed
Rambo had been pretty naughty today and I had been reluctant to take him out for a walk in case he thought he was being treated, but the Mr back home thought I should go anyway - and he says I am am the soft touch! To his credit, Rambo behaved very well, only pulling when he saw the river and where he was going. Here is some swim time.


He did shake.

It was very hot today again and as we we walked up the hill we were both starting to flag. I took us up the shortcut which is extremely steep but much more direct.

I was persistent in my plan to get some stuff planted today and so off I went and stripped out one of the chillies that the Mr's friend had given us, although I wore my gloves just in case. These were Ghost chillies, I think (my memory is bad) and are extremely hot, so I took no chances. I also planted corn and a few tomato seeds. So from left to right, just in case I forget until I get them labelled; one row of tomato seed, three rows of corn and two rows of ghost chillies. Spicy tomato sauces to follow.

Planted raised bed
Planted raised bed
The flower bed also looks stunning and I couldn't help take a photo. Beautiful.

In full bloom
In full bloom
In time for afternoon coffee I came back in to talk to the Mr and congratulate him on passing his towing trailer test today - big round of applause please - and then delivered the coffee to the men  and snapped a few pics whilst I was there.

More progress
More progress
Ceiling almost done
Ceiling almost done
 As it was so warm I thought I would take a brew up to the terrace and rest for half an hour and as I did so, I collected Sassy for another bit of fresh air. She certainly knows how to relax.

Sassy
Sassy
She had to be coaxed out of the travel case I brought her up in, or rather tipped out as she huffed for about 15 minutes after I opened the gate and she refused to come out. So stubborn. I wonder where she learned that from?  *ahem*

I was starting to get very pink in colour up there and I had to pack up and come back down a little while later. Sassy enjoys looking over the wall but has been placed on a lead just on the off chance that she hops up or worse, over the wall.

When I got down there was just enough time for another cuppa before the men were ready to go. It was a tough journey as the heat had made me very tired. Goodness knows what I will be like when it actually does get into summer. Maybe I will get used to it slowly.

Back home and as usual I had the progress photos to take so that Himself can see exactly what has occurred in the course of the day. The ceiling is finished, except for paint.

Just paint now!
Just paint now!
And the sockets are ready to be mounted, including an outside plug for the balcony.

Sockets!
Sockets!
I popped out onto the balcony to show you the lack of progress on my lettuce seeds and flowers that I have planted last weekend and look! Lettuce babies!

More babies!
More babies!
You have to excuse my excitement when things start to show any sign of life, in the past I have been known to kill several cacti and numerous plants.

As I came to the bottom of the stairs, I saw a very, very tired puppy sprawled out on his bed and refusing to move - I think he enjoyed his swim in the river! To be fair, he wasn't the only tired one.

Tired puppy
Tired puppy
Finally, the trench at the front. Not great progress in distance but a fair bit in depth, although I am not sure you can tell from this photo.

A little bit more
A little bit more
Here I am, it is 9.10pm and I still have not had a bite since 10.30am when I had two croissants. Is it any wonder I am losing weight? I am off to munch my chicken and have a cold beer while I wait for sleep to come. I will see you tomorrow at probably around the same time.

Leka nosht.

A x


1 comment:

  1. Those busy days kinda break the whole "feeling lazy - spending whole day watching movies - beer before bedtime" routine that results in a lovingly short and to the point posts :D

    ReplyDelete