Thursday 9 April 2015

Blowing a gale

I woke this morning reasonably fresh and feeling much better, despite my sniffles. I lit the petchka in the room last night and I believe it really helped. Perhaps the dampness is going and that was the cause of my coughing over the last few days, who knows.

I got up with the intention of rushing around and grabbing a shower and as I went to put the kettle on for my first cuppa, the tap was dry! No water at all.  I was not a happy bunny. I went down and let Rambo out for his run around and stayed with him for a while before returning to check the water again. Hey presto!  Water flowing strong.  Quick shower and cuppa and I was off for the men.

As I approached the men's village I thought I would grab a photo of what I thought was a barbecue that the locals had erected for their summer evenings when they sit out together drinking and getting together, but as I was told on the way by Bekir, it was actually the Kmet (Village Mayor) who arranged for it - very lucky!

BBQ
BBQ
We arrived back at the school and even though it has been dryer I am still parking Lucy at the top pf the village. Opposite the neighbours house is their pile of compost.  On it were two ducks and they looked like they were nesting/laying.

Ducks in manure
Ducks in manure
I popped up to the roof to see the progress and took these photos for the Mr.

Terrace drainage
Terrace drainage 
Terrace
Terrace
I have been working all day and just after what was supposed to be lunchtime, not that I was able to stop for anything to eat, Bekir came downstairs to say they had finished on the roof and could we go to town to pick up some wood for the next job of the partition walls in the guest room. Supposed to be working, I quickly sent a message to say I would be out for half an hour and we legged it. Our usual building supplies yard were all out of the size we needed and so on the way back up Bekir rang another yard to see if they could deliver.  Monday was the earliest and then I was told that the men would not be back until Monday.  With so much to do inside the school I went blank and couldn't think of what to say to him, so we went back.  They cleared away the boxes in the guest room and prepared for the walls as much as they could. At around 4pm I could hear them in the hall and they were done for the day and could do no more. I quickly thought of our bedroom and the fact that we have floor tiles sitting since last year and we have just not had a chance to get them fitted with the roof taking priority. When I showed him the tiles and explained that I wanted the preparations done for the electrics to be connected and channelled walls to be prepared, they were working tomorrow apparently.  Woohoo. I will actually have a clean and dust free (more or less) floor in the bedroom.

It has been so very windy all day and as we were leaving I saw this big lump taking full advantage of his bed and a draft free space.  Lazy!

Lazy puppy
Lazy puppy
So having dropped the men and arrived back with some eggs from the shop I noticed the drainage guy had cleared off early, but he has made good progress I guess.  The trenches reach from just behind the lefthand back corner of the school all the way around to the front porch now and they are mega deep at the fron.  Up to my ribcage and maybe higher.

Progress to the porch
Progress to the porch
Even Rambo is dwarfed in there.

In the trenches
In the trenches

Dug deep
Dug deep
I thought I would go up to the roof to illustrate just how strong the winds were and I took this video.


On my way back down, as well as grabbing some more of the fast diminishing wood from the stock upstairs I could hear loud banging and when I arrived in the corridor on the way to cut up more wood I saw why.  The wind had actually blown so hard that it had blown a set of the old windows open. These are soon to be replaced, but I had to nail them shut again as I did not want broken glass all over the place. I found a hammer and some nails and went to work. Not much fun really as I firstly cut my finger as I hit my knuckle with the hammer and secondly, with every bang of the hammer either a bit of ceiling fell down on top of me or a bit of the window surround fell loose - haha.  I tapped gently from then on.

And so it was to cut more wood, I will be glad to see summer! I packed up both buckets and headed off to see how my curry was looking. I had thought I left beef out earlier to defrost, as it cooked away I was convinced it was lamb. After eating it, it was definitely beef. Never mind, the curry was superb and there is plenty left.

So I am sat here glad that I have managed to type this out as I struggled earlier.  Both fires are lit and I shall be heading off to bed very shortly to do it all again in the morning, bright and early again.

Leka nosht!

A x



No comments:

Post a Comment