Friday 15 May 2015

Big truck day!

I had a restless night last night due to itchy skin from all my bites but I woke quiet refreshed. I didn't set my alarm so was a little later today than I usually am. I had taken on some additional work with someone I have had previously done some work for and had to get cracking almost straight away before my mega-busy day started with my regular work. I know, I need to stop working so much.

As I tippy tapped away and drank coffee I could hear some noise and stopped my recording to listen. It sounded like a dumper truck. I grabbed the camera and legged it outside only to have missed the main event. They had delivered some stones.

Stone delivery
Stone delivery
We are having French drains installed and so the stones, for those of you who don't know, are the first stage of the several layers that have to be applied on top of the drainage pipe. Now, I hope I can get this right otherwise the Mr can edit it. The pipe has holes along the top. Rough grade stones are the first layer, then after that, each layer is a smaller grade of stone, gravel or sand . Anyway, that's all I know, so shoot me if I am wrong.

Rambo and I have arrived at an agreement. He does as he is told and I feed him. This seems to be working quite well. He was running after the lorry when i called him to sit and he did, even from my position on the balcony. The boy impresses me sometimes.

Obedient
Obedient
The men were working away for a lot of the morning, much the same as I was. Today was an easier day however, as I had to ask the boss to go easy on my due to the swollen wrist as it was in exactly the spot where it rubs when I type. I managed a lunch break and to get some washing done and I also had a quick look at the men's progress.

Earlier in the day I was a bit concerned that they had not dug down to the level of the downstairs corridor and I was having difficulty in explaining what I wanted them to do. After a few e-mails to our very helpful architect, it was all sorted. So they dug further down and then started to fill the hole with concrete, sealing the wall with membrane also. The reason they are laying concrete here, and this is my understanding, is that they need to create an angle for the pipe so that there is actually enough of a gradient for the water to flow all the way round to the front and drain out. I am a girl, so this is probably wrong. Perfect example of why not to leave a woman in charge of a "blue job". Anyway, this is them working.

Concreting
Concreting
I am starting to warm more to this men now as at first I was not sure about them. The addition of the two extra workers has made a big difference to the attitude and to the progress they are making. They even take time to humour Rambo with his Kong.

Play time
Play time
On and off today they took some time to see what they could do with this problematic water pipe that seems to refuse to be fixed! Another make do, temporary fix had to be done today.

Water pipe
Water pipe
I was just finishing up with my work when I heard and spotted a huge lorry pull into the village. I was instantly excited and knew it was for us! It was. Get ready for some serious dumpage!!


I took some time out this afternoon and finished slightly earlier. Rambo and I ventured up to the top bank to check out the seedlings that have sprouted. He was more interested in when i was going to throw his Kong. So much so that he sat down right in the middle of a wild rose bush. Hard as nails.

Every rose...
Every rose...
I was really pleased to see the flowers have sprouted even more and they are coming along quite well. What a shame the rest have not shown willing.

Seedlings
Seedlings
So at the end of the day I took a walk around with the men as one of them had lost either his glasses or his glasses case, I'm not quite sure, but we all pitched in and I snapped a couple of photos to show what they have achieved and that they have actually done what we wanted and protected this wall properly.

Back inlet
Back inlet
Bending
Bending
I am currently cooking up a spicy pork pasta for my dinner and it is almost done, so I am going to leave you with an arty farty shot and wish you all a happy Friday.

Bright
Bright
Oh yes! I almost forgot. My wrist and bites are a lot better this evening and they are all a lot less angry and sore. Thanks for all the mosquito advice!

Leka nosht.

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment