Tuesday 26 May 2015

Motivation returns

Last night I wanted to try something I saw our neighbour cook one lunchtime and I had bought some of these peppers whilst out shopping. She simply drizzled an ample supply of both oil and salt over them and slow fried them. Well, I can understand why; they were absolutely gorgeous and went very well with my pork belly strips and salad. Delicious.

Peppers
Peppers
I went to bed at a decent time last night but I was awake throughout the night with really quite bad stomach cramps and a bit of a dodgy stomach. I think I woke up about four times throughout. Now I hadn't really been feeling great for a few days on the lead up to this, so it came as no real surprise. When I got up this morning it was around 8am and I didn't rush myself into doing anything. My plan was to go down to the market, but I was still feeling unsure about my stomach and decided to wait a couple of hours. I usually go early but it was around 10.30 before I left and I was really starting to feel better again, thankfully.

They used to allow stalls in this little square section but they seem to have moved all of the stalls to the streets up above. However, there seems to be either the beginnings of something or the end of something in the square with a bandstand and a merry-go-round.

Market day
Market day
With not having felt great first thing I hadn't eaten anything this morning and by 11.30, after my mooch around, I was really feeling hungry. I just had to get a kebab from the best kebab shop I have eaten in so far. I did only have a small one and actually struggled to finish it, but I got there!
Best kebab in town
Best kebab in town
Whilst in the kebab shop I was approached by a big guy who spoke English. He was a friend of the kebab shop owner and said that the boss had said we buy property here and do it up and if we would like to buy another one or knew of anyone who would. I laughed into myself and thought of all the extra work and a little part of me died - haha. He was a very nice man and he told me that he had lived in the States for 15 years before coming back and getting married. It is also funny that people recognise us and (partially) know what we are doing here. Such a small community.

To let the kebab settle I decided I did not fancy a coffee in our local bar and so I sat and admired the little square outside the shop. Underneath the clock are water taps and people do use them a lot, just to get a drink or wash their hands. This is the lovely thing about over here, they seem to have respect for communal areas and don't damage them. I dread to think what would happen in the UK to things like this.

Taking a moment
Taking a moment
I got back to the School around 12.30 and let Rambo out of his pen. I got hollered at by Little Lady to come for coffee and it was agreed that I would go over in ten minutes. As it is market day the men all go into town for the errands and a lot of beer, so she gets a rest day also and some time to herself. It's nice to just sit and pigeon chat with her.

I came back home not long after as her phone was constantly ringing and we kept getting interrupted and it was also threatening a big downpour. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do and when I saw the clouds I thought it would be a good opportunity to spend a while running through some of the Bulgarian language course we had got ourselves. I spent about 1.5 hours learning everything from the alphabet to colours.

Language lessons
Language lessons
The clouds had blown off and with the threat of torrential downpours tomorrow I wondered what to do with the hay from the strimming, so Rambo and I were out and looking around when I had an idea. I gave him a stick to occupy him whilst I was away doing my thing. He was very unsure when I told him it was his and he did a little double take. He was also most put out when I called him back after I took a fit of laughing at him just so I could get a photo.

Big stick
Big stick
I thought if the hay, which was not quite completely dried out yet, was off the ground that after it rained it would dry faster and without moulding if most of it were off solid ground. Who knows? I dug this in and it probably is not as deep as it should be but I hope it holds through the wind and rain due tomorrow.
Experiment
Experiment
So it was fairly secure and not too wobbly and I loaded the hay. I am not sure what they use here for their fantastic haystacks, but possibly the same idea. I will find out.

Haystack
Haystack
I was feeling much more energetic now I had done something and I thought about the chicks I have agreed to take from the Little Lady - she has too many apparently. So, without attempting to build the chicken coop (that's a blue job and will probably leave me feeling like I failed again), I had an idea to use Rambo's enclosure for them to nest in at night as he doesn't use it any more and as they will roam during the day, he will be able to use it if the men need to put him away. Win. However, the grass needed some attention in there and I was the only one able to do it. Woman versus Nature!

Grim Reaper
Grim Reaper
This is what I was looking at when I opened the gate and I already was sorry I had even thought of it, but I needed to at least trim it down a bit if the chickens were to use it.

Enclosure
Enclosure
I took a couple of breaks as the sun was out and it was still hot out there but determination, stubbornness, call it what you will, but it got me through and I cleared a fair old amount of it. At least now the chickens will be able to walk around in there without getting lost in the jungle. They will have to be compounded for about 48 hours so as to get them used to where they roost/nest - my "Keeping Chickens for Dummies" book told me that. Thanks CJC and Fi!

Roughly cut
Roughly cut
I got the job done and whilst it is not complete, it will be fine for what is needed. Usually the Mr does all this sort of stuff and to be fair, I may get the neighbours to sharpen the scythe for me as it would be much easier to use if it wasn't as blunt. So tomorrow I will be making two nesting boxes for the chickens and the Mr can build the coop when he gets here so that we can perhaps add to the flock. I really hope Rambo doesn't eat them.

I am about to prepare my salad for dinner and relax with a film and a cup of tea. So I will leave it here and tell you all about the chicken preparations tomorrow.

Leka nosht.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment